P0190 P0191 please help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By DeeeeC
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-04-16 Thread Starter
County: -
P0190 P0191 please help!

Hi all,

After having to rebuild my cylinder head from a bent pair of valves, I finally got my MOT two weeks ago.

Yesterday, the car wouldn't start after endless cranking. I got the codes P0190 and P0191. These point to the fuel pressure sensor and regulator.

If I disconnect both, the car starts after two rounds of cranking 5 seconds. I reconnected the pressure sensor (blue plug) and that doesn't make a difference, it starts after two tries. BUT when I reconnect the regulator (black plug) it cranks forever but will not start. Disconnecting it again solves the problem.

Does this mean the regulator is at fault? Or something else? Is it safe to just leave it disconnected until I get a new one? I'm guessing the low pressure fuel pump will work extra hard in this time.

Where can I get one and what is the part number? Or can I test the resistance? Can it be fixed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-16 Thread Starter
Update if you can shed any light for my problem.

I get 9 volts to the pressure regulator connector with the ignition on. I measure 1.2 k ohm resistance.

I reconnected it and now I can start the car easily by keeping the accelerator held down before and during cranking.

But is 9V normal? Shouldn't it be 12V?

Alfa 156 JTS facelift.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I think I'd suspect low fuel pressure rather than a defective regulator, ie a blocked fuel filter or pump fault. See http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...0-jts-fun.html (JTS Fun)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-16 Thread Starter
Thanks halftone.

I had a small split in the fuel line just before the high pressure pump - think that explained why the fuel pressure was low. I replaced this. Piece of mind after all

I now believe what I read somewhere that the JTS needs 20 litres of fuel in the tank before it can pressurise properly.

halftone likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

p0190 , p0191