Ask the audience... Your tyre suggestions please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 29-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Ask the audience... Your tyre suggestions please!

Hi folks,

About to replace the tyres on my 19.JTD GT and was wondering if anyone had any particular suggestions to make.

I do mostly an almost entirely motorway commute of 70 miles round trip every day, and to be honest, it's comfort and quietness I'd opt for over performance.

On my previous Alfas (not GT's), I've tried Pirelli and Michelin, but always ended up with Yokohamas, because they outlasted the other brands significantly, and as I do nearly 18K miles per annum, that's a factor I have to consider.

So for the GT, I'm looking at the BluEarth AE50's which seem to offer reasonable noise levels and wet weather grip for a mid-price tyre.

Has anyone run Yokohamas on their GT, and if so, what are your thoughts?

TIA,

MJ

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Goodyear Efficient Grips would be a good tyre choice.

They're rated B for fuel efficiency and get an A in the wet along with being 68dB (quiet end of the scale). Not sure of the prices in the UK but they are definitely one of the cheapest, quality manufacturer tyres available. Here in Sweden they're all of 10-15 quid more expensive than the cheap, rubbish Chinese tyres and they get excellent write ups so I definitely think they're a good option for you. Especially doing mostly motorway driving, that added fuel efficiency and quietness will be beneficial

EDIT;
Maybe also look at the Dunlop Sport BluResponse for a good all-rounder. They're about the same price as the Goodyear's give or take a few quid.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944

Last edited by AussieAlex; 29-04-16 at 08:42.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Has anyone run Yokohamas on their GT, and if so, what are your thoughts?
I have had Yokohamas on my GT and they lasted about two minutes on the front.

Currently running GY Asymmetrics and they're excellent for the country roads around here. They seem fine on the motorway too.

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
+1 for Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres.. Got a set of 4 on at the moment.

The most quiet and comfortable tyre I've had on so far (I hard task for a 225/40/18 sized tyre), and does me well for the daily trek up and down the motorway.

That being said, I'm going to try some Nexen N8000's when I'm next due.. Hear some very good things, and they're half the price of the Goodyears... Seem to be punching well above their price tag...
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
I second the Efficient Grip, running them on my 156 (motorway use mostly) and they are good - quiet and last well, 17-18K currently and should last another 5 I think before I have to buy a replacement (before they go into illegal territory).

I was replacing them in 2s and total cost was about 300-320

I have winter tyres and there is big difference in noise, comfort and economy
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlex View Post
Goodyear Efficient Grips would be a good tyre choice.

They're rated B for fuel efficiency and get an A in the wet along with being 68dB (quiet end of the scale). Not sure of the prices in the UK but they are definitely one of the cheapest, quality manufacturer tyres available. Here in Sweden they're all of 10-15 quid more expensive than the cheap, rubbish Chinese tyres and they get excellent write ups so I definitely think they're a good option for you. Especially doing mostly motorway driving, that added fuel efficiency and quietness will be beneficial

EDIT;
Maybe also look at the Dunlop Sport BluResponse for a good all-rounder. They're about the same price as the Goodyear's give or take a few quid.
I'll second the Goodyears, got a set all round last June for our 156SW before our trip to Europe and they are a great tyre! The road noise from the tyres is barely noticeable and the wear rate is good too. The 16" tyre is 48 from mytyres at the moment (have found they are amongst the cheapest for tyres)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
I too do similar daily distances on motorway. originally had P Zeros which gave a hard, uncomfortable and noisy ride. When the time came to change I moved to Goodyear F1 tyres and after 15k miles they are still comfortable and quiet and show little wear.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Happy with Michelin PS3s. They probably don't last that long, but that probably has more to do with the suspension set up that, er, encourages cornering....
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
As usual with tyre threads this will fall into two camps.

The guys that only buy premium and those that are looking for a more budget conscious choice...Having covered around 50k in two GT's I have more than my fair share of tyre experience on these cars..I think I am on my 3rd set all in..

started with pirelli P-zero's on my previous GT which were lovely, plenty of feedback and good grip in both wet and dry conditions, found them a bit noisy by the end of a 500 mile drive up to Scotland, I rotate tyres so the wear rate is even between front and back and change them all at the same time, that said the rears were still legal when they came off and are in the garage as emergency tyres , 5k still in them if rear mounted...don't eckon they would last more than 3k on the front though.

next tire was conti contact sport 5 which came with the new GT and I found these great as well, bit more wet grip than the pirelli, dry performance the same and a little quieter on the M-way again got around 17k out of these all said and done, same deal as before have two in the garage with about 3k left in them

now to the current set which are the only ones I will buy again when they need replacing..Nexen N8000, these are simply a fantastic tyre, not just for the money, easily as good as the michelins and Pirelli's at about half the cost, also after about 17k very spirited miles ,with the car now at around 230 BHP they are still legal with around another 8k in them.

when It's time for new tyres it will be the Nexens again here..of course you will have someone come along and call anything that isn't premium ''Ditchfinders'' but I can tell you I have been nowhere near any ditches and despite some very spirited driving I have not been able to provoke anything unexpected out of these tyres.

at around 50 a corner for 18''s well worth a look IMO.
tejay and AussieAlex like this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
now to the current set which are the only ones I will buy again when they need replacing..Nexen N8000, these are simply a fantastic tyre, not just for the money, easily as good as the michelins and Pirelli's at about half the cost, also after about 17k very spirited miles ,with the car now at around 230 BHP they are still legal with around another 8k in them.

when It's time for new tyres it will be the Nexens again here..of course you will have someone come along and call anything that isn't premium ''Ditchfinders'' but I can tell you I have been nowhere near any ditches and despite some very spirited driving I have not been able to provoke anything unexpected out of these tyres.

at around 50 a corner for 18''s well worth a look IMO.
Nexen make some really good tyres and I definitely agree they aren't ditch finders!

The N8000's have excellent tread wear by all accounts too so no surprise you're getting good mileage out of them! In the smaller rim sizes they are rated a bit louder (74dB) I think than the Goodyear Efficient Grips but if they're quite a bit cheaper they're definitely worth a look for OP
AO Platinum Member

What size.......?

So many "what tyres should I buy" threads leave out that vital info....
(Post Link) post #12 of 56 Old 29-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
What size.......?

So many "what tyres should I buy" threads leave out that vital info....

17" in my case.

Thanks for the many comments. Lots to think about. Suprised to hear that Yokohomas don't last on the GT, because on my 164s, they lasted really well. I've also got them on our Freelander 2, and they are a good all year round tyre.

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
17" in my case.

Thanks for the many comments. Lots to think about. Suprised to hear that Yokohomas don't last on the GT, because on my 164s, they lasted really well. I've also got them on our Freelander 2, and they are a good all year round tyre.

Mine were Advan Sports - I guess Yokohoma make other types which may last longer.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

make sure you get a good hunter system alignment. Else non of the tyres will last. Alfa's double wishbone set up eats tyres if not correctly set up to neutral if you are doing distance.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

Falken Azenis FK510 is a new model performance tyre with a very good price. Made in Japan.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
NEXEN N8000 is more than perfect for EUR80,/tire for 225/40/18.
It also have some drawbacks.
A. Needs to be warmed up. No early morning ( +10'C or lower ) fast sharp cornering. It slides.
B. Poor side protection - 225 with 8J is rubbish which is normally not. Either 235+ with 8J or 225 with 7,5J
AO Member

County: Dorset
+1 for Goodyear efficient grip as a balance between cost, performance and durability. I have ps2's on my 3.2 GT and they are good but hard to compare as v different car and only just got the GT.

Am toying with pitting either efficient grips or eagle sport asymmetric on the GT. I would like a bit more longevity and rim protection without massive sacrifices in handling.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 20v

can't comment on the tyres on the 156( mostly real cheap budgets which were put on by the previous owner but still have loads of tread and do for the daily driver) but use Kumho KU39's on the weekend toy( Stage 3 MK5 VXR) and they are great tyres for the price, had Sport contact 2 oe 3's on them when I got the car and got to say the Kumho's are equal if not better in both the wet and the dry and manage putting the 300 odd BHP down with little in the way of wheel spin.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

Only use kumho ku39 best tyre around
bigdov likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 56 Old 29-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Just thought I'd post a quick update.

I stuck with my preferred choice, and went for the Yokohama BluEarth-A AE-50 . They've been fine to date, even in some particularly wet weather and at speed. Hitting huge sheets of standing water at 70mph had no effect on the car - whereas the previous tyres caused the front end to behave skittishly.

They seem quiet enough for my daily commute, and soak up the damaged road surfaces better that the previous tyres. On the whole, I'm pleased with the performance, and if they last as long as my other Yokohamas, then I'll be very satisfied. I paid just under 85 per corner, with fitting at my home.

All my miles are motorway, so not many bends for me? I just like a nice relaxing commute.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Risk a budget tyre. They're not as bad as they used to be and you can afford to change them more often.

Cue abuse....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Risk a budget tyre. They're not as bad as they used to be and you can afford to change them more often.

Cue abuse....
abuse abuse ...!!!

your are right , even the really cheap stuff is ok these days....

I am due 4 new boots and am going to try either toyo proxes or kumho ku39, the Nexens are great but its always fun to try new stuff..
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:

Cue abuse....
I don't really see the point in those budget tyres though since for an extra 10 quid a side you can usually pick up a name brand tyre that will perform better and last longer. So its really just a false economy to buy those yumcha chinese brands imo. Would rather spend the extra 40 or 50 quid and get a decent name brand
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:

Cue abuse....
Case and point - I ran a set of Pirelli's down to 2mm, and changed for a set of cheapo Infitinity tyres...

Cheapo Inifnity's with 7-8mm tread had a ****-load more wet-grip than Pirelli's with 2-3mm...

I'm rolling on Goodyears now, but the next set of boots will likely be Nexen's...

New cheap tyres > Worn premium tyres in my experience, better off changing them often and cheaply than running them to the legal limit!
AO Silver Member

Ed..the nexens are 42.95 a corner on camskilll right now...thats around 172 for four boots..

if you have a credit card break the glass and use it!
_The_Editor_ likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
audience , suggestions , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page