Ask the audience... Your tyre suggestions please! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Ed..the nexens are 42.95 a corner on camskilll right now...thats around 172 for four boots..

if you have a credit card break the glass and use it!
My garage is rapidly filling up with spare parts, this is getting silly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Best prices what ever you chose are here:

Goodride SA37 Sport 215/45 ZR17 87W - mytyres.co.uk
F

Anyone tried Goodride? They appear to be cheaper than shoes. Makes me feel very decadent investing in my bourgeois Nangkangs.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
...They appear to be cheaper than shoes.
I've paid more for 145/70R13 for the little Fiat Cinq...!
yiorgos likes this.

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Best prices what ever you chose are here:

Goodride SA37 Sport 215/45 ZR17 87W - mytyres.co.uk
F

Anyone tried Goodride? They appear to be cheaper than shoes. Makes me feel very decadent investing in my bourgeois Nangkangs.

I they are cheaper than Nangkangs I'd stay clear.

My local garage also sells tyres but some "Sail" brand .. he refuses to sell them to anyone with a "performance" car but does a roaring trade selling to the local taxi drivers! Says it all ..
AO Member

County: Argyll and Bute

Member car:

alfa GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
I they are cheaper than Nangkangs I'd stay clear.

My local garage also sells tyres but some "Sail" brand .. he refuses to sell them to anyone with a "performance" car but does a roaring trade selling to the local taxi drivers! Says it all ..
I have just bought 4 avon zv5s from black circles 232 delivered made in England.
duemila likes this.
VO2Max

Quote:
Risk a budget tyre. They're not as bad as they used to be and you can afford to change them more often.

Cue abuse....

If you fit some Acceleras you risk a high likelihood of ending up in a ditch - and I can't think of anything more abusive than that to happen to your car.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Landsail?

You also have to watch for a budget brand with the name "Performance"..... favourite of alloy wheel dealers so they can say their wheels come "complete with a full set of Performance tyres"....
Aggel321 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
bottom line is you have to take a balanced view, although I am not advocating the use of ling longs on a performance vehicle it all comes down to driving style and the weight,power and set up of the car they are on.

some of the 159 guys are running accellera tyres with no problems but the 159's are heavy and don't generally tend to be driven in as much as a spirited manner as a GT or GTV but remapped they can be pushing 250 BHP on the 2.4 5 pot, they still seem to be ok, the car makes a huge difference as I wouldn't put those anywhere near my GT!

almost certainly changing a barely legal premium tyre for a brand new budget will be see a positive change in grip and handling...also all budget tyres are not made equal. Nexens are excellent, as are toyo and kumho and at under 60 a corner on most tyre sizes online there really is no reason to fit anything more ''budget'' than that.

when it comes right down to it tyres are a bit like wine, sometimes the price is an indicator of the quality and sometimes not, it's only by trying cheaper brands that you find out what is good and what is not so these threads are always of use as some of the lesser known's are becoming solid performers...

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

+1 for the Goodyear Eagle AS2. I admit they are not cheap but a wise man once told me never to skimp on the things which separate you from the floor.
symon, ALFADOIT and joeymannero like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Landsail?

You also have to watch for a budget brand with the name "Performance"..... favourite of alloy wheel dealers so they can say their wheels come "complete with a full set of Performance tyres"....
I've had Highperformer on 17s. They were ok. Lasted along time, had rim protection and avoided ditches.

Perhaps they could rebrand as adequateperformer.
AO Platinum Member

The difference between good & bad tyres can be masked a little when you have a matching set of the same poor tyres. The car will be balanced, just with a low limit.
The difference will jump out at you when you have good tyres on one end and poor on the other.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
I like the look of mine & they nice and big
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160608_174334.jpg (36.6 KB, 15 views)
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

I live in southern greece, so its mild to hot all year long.

I don't have any long term experience on the matter, but the 147 I got 3 months ago had Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (205/55r16) fitted a little less than a year ago. They have done around 6000km (3000 by me) and they look like new. They have amazing grip on dry and wet, but are a little unpredictable sometimes on very bad quality tarmac (nothing bad or unexpected, but you get used to the insane grip and when you slide or driver aids kick in it feels weird).

I was very worried about the soft sidewalls, but had no problem with them even aften hitting some really bad potholes and climbing curbs.

Also I had no problem taking the car on bad dirt roads, in terms of feel or durability.

The mechanic who knows my driving habits well told me that those tires are by far the best choice in terms of value for money and that they should easily last 4 more years with a front/rear swap sometime in the future.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
I had a pair of 215/45/17 Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted on the front of the fat 5 pot a couple of weeks ago. so far so good they seem to be reasonably quiet, deal very well with large amounts of standing water and seem a little fatter/fuller than some brands so might offer some additional rim protection. They are definately quieter than the Khumo Ecsta Sport LE's that are on the rear of the car.

Back in the day I used to often choose Uniroyal tyres but they seemed to have fallen off of the radar for several years but appear to be making a bit of a resurgence at the minute.

A pair of tyres and a laser alignment came in at 190 so not cheap but hopefully should last a while.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Landsail?
That's the ones .. avoid!
AO Member

OK I think I've finally found experts to help me on my quest on finding tyres for my rocket ship (coined by Ned)

What are my requirement guy's (17's on a 1.9 cloverleaf GT):
1. Quiet tyres. I don't think i'm supposed to turn the radio up to full when on the M25 because of the racket from my tyres
2. Stopping. I'm pushing out 260 horses and spinning 10 short of 300 lbs of torque so having grippy rubber is quite beneficial
3. Super softs. Need tyres that will last my daily school run (yawn but we must) and not turn to dust on every full moon
4. Cost, I guess you get what you pay for but you get more if guided by experts
5. Cloverleaf alloys. You all know the sound, you've looked the curb,it's a nothing curb but you hear that sound that makes your spinal cord shrink and your eyes water. I need protection the alloy wheels type.

SO experts that's your 5 point challenge, which of you are really experts. Good luck.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
OK I think I've finally found experts to help me on my quest on finding tyres for my rocket ship (coined by Ned)

What are my requirement guy's (17's on a 1.9 cloverleaf GT):
1. Quiet tyres. I don't think i'm supposed to turn the radio up to full when on the M25 because of the racket from my tyres
2. Stopping. I'm pushing out 260 horses and spinning 10 short of 300 lbs of torque so having grippy rubber is quite beneficial
3. Super softs. Need tyres that will last my daily school run (yawn but we must) and not turn to dust on every full moon
4. Cost, I guess you get what you pay for but you get more if guided by experts
5. Cloverleaf alloys. You all know the sound, you've looked the curb,it's a nothing curb but you hear that sound that makes your spinal cord shrink and your eyes water. I need protection the alloy wheels type.

SO experts that's your 5 point challenge, which of you are really experts. Good luck.
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
225/45 R17 91Y
sneaker likes this.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Michelin Pilot Super Sport or what davidc said
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sport or what davidc said
Thanks guy's, really appreciate the response
sye likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
if 17", look also at Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
225/45 R17 91Y
Do they offer better protection than the pilot sports?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
bottom line is you have to take a balanced view, although I am not advocating the use of ling longs on a performance vehicle it all comes down to driving style and the weight,power and set up of the car they are on.

some of the 159 guys are running accellera tyres with no problems but the 159's are heavy and don't generally tend to be driven in as much as a spirited manner as a GT or GTV but remapped they can be pushing 250 BHP on the 2.4 5 pot, they still seem to be ok, the car makes a huge difference as I wouldn't put those anywhere near my GT!

almost certainly changing a barely legal premium tyre for a brand new budget will be see a positive change in grip and handling...also all budget tyres are not made equal. Nexens are excellent, as are toyo and kumho and at under 60 a corner on most tyre sizes online there really is no reason to fit anything more ''budget'' than that.

when it comes right down to it tyres are a bit like wine, sometimes the price is an indicator of the quality and sometimes not, it's only by trying cheaper brands that you find out what is good and what is not so these threads are always of use as some of the lesser known's are becoming solid performers...

Not sure I'd call Toyos budget - my old man runs T1Rs as wet weather tyres on his race car. I always used to have them on my 156 and was very happy with them (using PZeros on my GT now though).
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Why not just read the annual Autocar (the magazine) tyre test and buy from their findings. The tests appear unbiased and cover all different conditions and are available on line.

The tests include:-

Wet braking
Dry braking
Wet cornering
Dry cornering
Straight line aqua plain
Cornering Aqua plain
Fuel efficiency
Noise
Etc
Etc

My feeling about most tyre reports in this forum are that those who say, "cheap tyres are amazing and I drive hard" also seem to achieve 40,000 (ish) miles on tyres and well over 40mpg From their 2.4 159.

Sorry but those miles for tyres and mpg definitely mean you do NOT drive hard and are not testing the limits of the tyres. So in that case cheap tyres may suit you but others pushing harder (should that be allowed on the road?) are likely to have a very different opinion.

Though the Autocar test will show that some cheap brands are improving and even the big brands can get left behind.

Summary: I would rather trust the real experts on real test tracks (or my own view from experience of driving 50,000 miles per year for the last 15 years) than the opinions on a forum.
symon likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
..bridgestone potenza adrenalins are a decent tyre and can be picked up cheaply enough.
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Hi folks,

About to replace the tyres on my 19.JTD GT and was wondering if anyone had any particular suggestions to make.

I do mostly an almost entirely motorway commute of 70 miles round trip every day, and to be honest, it's comfort and quietness I'd opt for over performance.

On my previous Alfas (not GT's), I've tried Pirelli and Michelin, but always ended up with Yokohamas, because they outlasted the other brands significantly, and as I do nearly 18K miles per annum, that's a factor I have to consider.

So for the GT, I'm looking at the BluEarth AE50's which seem to offer reasonable noise levels and wet weather grip for a mid-price tyre.

Has anyone run Yokohamas on their GT, and if so, what are your thoughts?

TIA,

MJ
For interest what did you buy? I have 17inch 2 GY Eagle F1 Assm 1 and 2 Dunlop Sport max TTs to replace on GT , worn at about 18k miles. So far have Gy Eagle F1 Assm 3, Dunlop Sport Max RT2 and possibly Uniroyal RainSport 3 as I like the tread pattern. I am thinking to change to 16inch alloys as I have trouble getting over many speed humps in my area.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
audience , suggestions , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page