This affo I decided to fit the wiper motor and linkage that I snaffled off Roeburndale a short while back. I've had the car 18 months and have only been able to have the wipers at full chat or single sweep. I didn't take any pics (sorry) but I thought I would explain what I did in numpty language and hopefully some folk will find it useful. Here goes.
Bonnet up, I set about removing the wiper arms. At the end of each wiper arm there is a black plastic plug that covers the bolt. Helpfully each one has a little lug on the side. I used a thin flat blade screwdriver to apply very light leverage, and off they came.
That reveals the 14mm nut holding the wiper arm in place. I removed them from each wiper arm and popped them to one side. I found the best way to remove the wiper arm was to bend the arm slightly on it's springed hinge - that "straightened" the arm on the "spline" that it's fixed on. Then it just lifted off, no bother, with minimal 'jiggling'. I put them to one side after a quick spray and wipe with WD-40.
The next step is to remove the plastic scuttle panel. The panel comprises two halves - left and right, overlapping in the centre. On mine there were seven screws holding this in place:
3 x Torx screws - one in the centre of each of the left and right panels, and another in the dead centre, where they join. These came out very readily and were in good nick.
At the top of each side of the scuttle, at the leading edge that mates with the windscreen, there is a black plastic circular plug. It is just a push fit. I prised them out gently with a thin screwdriver. The plug is attached by a little plastic t-bar. Gentle pressure will free it, so be careful not to lose it. Under the plug, on each side, you will find a small, rusty phillips screw. Mine came out easily and I bathed them in WD-40. I've heard of people having to drill the suckers out.
OK - at this stage the scuttle feels "looser" but is not going anywhere fast. I could feel it was tighter at the sides and lower down on the scuttle. If you look below the scuttle and to the side (i.e. towards each wing) you'll see another screw. This is mounted horizontally (all the others were vertical). They came out ok but you need to be careful not to allow them to fall down into any of the nearby nooks and crannies.
Some folk have suggested that you need to pull the rubber seal off that runs across the scuttle at the back of the bonnet. I didn't, it came with the panel - no problem. There are some plastic clips on the rear edge - just ease them out. I took the opportunity to wash the scuttle inside and out, and clean the base of the windscreen where the seal was. It gets very clarty. The washer jet pipes are attached to the underside of the scuttle.
I did a general tidy up while I had access - removed a shed load of leaves and compost. I noted that there was no rust at all and cleaned it all out and sprayed with WD-40, which by now I like the smell of.
Then the easy bit. The wiper motor and linkage is held by 3 bolts. I removed them, unplugged the electrics and jiggled the entire unit out. I then compared outgoing to incoming, noting that incoming (though 2nd hand) was much better condition. The new bits fitted like a glove and were soon bolted in place, into a newly gleaming 'bay'.
I replaced the scuttle and gave every nut, bolt and screw a slather of grease. Once again, be careful not to drop and lose the horixontally mounted screws. I blobbed some vaseline on them and that gave enough "stick" to get them in position.
I then popped the wiper arms back on, and replaced all the plastic plugs. Then I started her up and gave it a try. Spot on.