End of the line for my GT - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 31 Old 23-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
however if I compare it to other cars currently out there it would cost me more to ''replace'' it than I have spent on it...as I would be looking for a stylish Italian coupe that handles well, can carry 5 people at a push, gets high 50's MPG has 230 BHP and loads of torque and is also a relatively rare sight on our roads. is comfortable and refined on M-ways and is also suitable for a good Blat when needed and has an interior that in genuinely a nice place to be.
You make a very good point. I absolutely love the car. In particular I love the looks and the fact that it's something you don't see on the roads much. It would be very difficult for me to replace under that criteria (and budget) so I'd probably end up with something fairly outlandish like a Chrysler 300... and who knows what problems there lie

Last edited by Cobblepop; 23-04-16 at 16:11.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Originally Posted by Cobblepop View Post
The clutch pedal does creak/squeek if that's what you mean? Besides that, the only other noise I get is a kind of metallic whirring when the car is under load at minimum revs, this is what the mechanic told me is probably the DMF.
The release bearing is failure noise is a high pitched continuous squeal when you press the clutch pedal. This bearing allows the engine to keep spinning while the fork (which isn't spinning) presses on the plate fingers to release it. It should be silent. As it fails it start to squeal, then eventually it locks up, trashes the pressure plate and you need a new clutch. Clutch pedal squeaking as you press it - normal, bit of oil on the pivot and there is some pin that regularly fails - costs about 20p and 10 minutes to replace, just damn inconvenient if it lets go.

There is loads of experience on here at rebuilding suspension - see this thread of mine:

I'm about to put up pictures of dropping out the entire rear subframe....
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Well said, joeymannero. At my 147 Q2's less elevated price level, I'd be looking at a 2003-4 Mk4 Golf TDI with probably 2x the mileage, and the soul, aesthetic and dynamic appeal of blancmange. And rusty wheel arches.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Check also the long mounting bolts on the upper arms ... They do wear although mine lasted about 12 years before I had to swap them it made a big difference.
AO Member
County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

How do they wear/what happens when they do? Can you please explain the difference the new bolts made?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Originally Posted by halftone View Post
Well said, joeymannero. At my 147 Q2's less elevated price level, I'd be looking at a 2003-4 Mk4 Golf TDI with probably 2x the mileage, and the soul, aesthetic and dynamic appeal of blancmange. And rusty wheel arches.
My personal view is that to own an Alfa of this age, you have to be committed. And it costs money to upkeep. Yes you can ignore problems like wishbones and failing suspension components etc.. But in the end you get to the stage where so much is wrong you question your sanity to fix her! Looking at what you can buy for the same money is irrelevant when you consider the upkeep balance. I decided to purchase a low mileage example of a GT i always dreamt of owning. But with problems and depreciation i have been hammered financially. Forgetting all my modifications to get the car to where i personally was happy with it.
I could have much easier borrowed a bit of money on top of the amount i paid for my cloverleaf, and bought a factory 300bhp machine, had less of a depreciation hit and had reliable motoring with a warranty. So it depends on what kind of scale we are talking here. There are some great drivers cars out there, it does not have to be a bloody Alfa to be beautiful. I honestly as much as i love my cloverleaf and the whole romance of the Alfa brand feel they are a somewhat floored product. God honest truth i could have never owned my car in standard form its atrocious. God awful suspension and dull speed even in 170 form. For me it was the huge potential. Anyhow i digress.
If good honest money were to be spent on the car in question she could run reliably for another 10 years. But more than price of the car would have to be spent. And there lies the dilemma.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

end , line