Another smokey exhaust thread... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-04-16 Thread Starter
County: -
Another smokey exhaust thread...

Hi all,
I've been reading these forums since I got my gorgeous 147 1.6TS in December, and you guys have helped me out a lot already. Thanks!

This is my first post. Here goes...

I got my 147 in December, and since losing all my coolant on the motorway when the top hose blew off (exhaust gases in coolant system causing excess pressure) I've had a new head gasket fitted courtesy of the dealer I bought her from. This cured the slow but steady drop in coolant level and she's been running cooler than she previously did. I'm not sure if this is just a result of a new head gasket, or if a new thermostat was fitted, but it's been averaging 80 on the gauge, only rising to 90 in heavy traffic. An independent garage did the standard coolant test to check for exhaust in the expansion tank and found none.

With the colder weather over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of light grey/white smoke behind me when I accelerate, especially when pulling away. The obvious assumption to make is that the new head gasket has not done the trick- my dealer's mechanic was unavailable to speak to following the HG change as he'd mysteriously returned home to Morocco. I wasn't filled with confidence- but my coolant level hasn't perceptibly moved and the exhaust doesn't smell sweet.

So my question is this: Are there any other fault or failures that could cause these symptoms, or am I just waiting for a full HG failure and all the related problems?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
One by-product of combustion is water. Until your exhaust gets quite hot this is visible steam. This wil be more visible and last longer in cold weather.

If you are doing short journeys it may just be the water from combustion.

If your coolant level is not dropping and you are not getting oil in water the head gasket doesn't sound like the problem.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
sounds like the the normal paranoia you have after a head gasket failure to be honest, I agree with what kandlebarrett has said above, doesn't sound like a HG and you may not have any thing to worry about at all...but I have been though this myself on a car or two and you do find yourself checking the temp gauge almost as much as the speedo and really are very aware of the exhaust and your coolant levels.

as long as she is A) running sweet and B)not losing coolant I would just enjoy driving your lovely 147 TS!

it's good to be mindful of the mechanical's but not at the expense of enjoying your drive...

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 18-04-16 Thread Starter
County: -
I check the temp gauge before the speedo now! I think you may be right, just condensation and paranoia. Thanks both for the reassurance!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

acceleration , exhaust , white smoke