some painting advice please.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By edraven71
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
some painting advice please..

I am painting my grille,wing mirrors and door handles anthracite to match my new wheel refurb I have the paint already....However there are some bits I am not 100% certain about so I thought I would ask you knowledgeable gents for some help.

I do have some spraying experience from re-finishing guitars but that's all on wood so not entirely relevant.

so, what are the Alfa blackline grilles made of? are they ali or chromed plastic and what would be the best primer to use with the solvent based aerosol paint I have?

and same for the mirrors, they look like plastic to me but i would like to be sure. nothing worse than spending loads of time keying and priming only for the paint not to take, it all looks like chromed plastic to me but good to have a definitive answer.

also a nice durable lacquer that will be hard wearing, the paint is satin so I imagine clear lacquer.

any suggestions ,tips,links to specific products you have used would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance for your suggestions..

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
They are all just coated plastic.

The only real advice I can give is to really get into every nook and cranny when keying it as nothing worse than a little corner lifting off and spoiling the whole finish when your done.

I went to my local paint supplier and he gave me suitable primer and then just applied the colour and clear coat (I did use a 2 pack lacquer from the same place) and mine has been done for about 2-3 years now and still looks as good as new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-02 22.49.56.jpg (250.0 KB, 5 views)
joeymannero likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
thanks very much!

will be cracking on with this as soon ans get the handles through the post..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , painting