Autolusso Hybrid turbo CF4 147 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 39Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 89 Old 07-04-16 Thread Starter
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Autolusso Hybrid turbo CF4 147 & GT

Now this is a bargain

We can now offer a hybrid turbo built by Turbo Dynamics supplied, fitted with a custom remap for 1,000 inc VAT

This deal is on CF4 147 and GT's from 2007 and on

Depending on how far the customer wants to push the mapping this will produce up to approximately 240 + BHP, we advise not to push it this hard but it is possible

Autolusso - Hybrid Turbo

Ned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

I cannot recommend this enough. I have this set up on my GT clover 170, for 25k miles and it really has been totally solid, and a real game changer for this engine. Fuel economy is better than before when i ran the std 170 turbo unit. And the whole car feels better for it. It is quite striking what can be achieved with this engine. The usable torque with this set up is really something. The Turbo Dynamics hybrid turbo unit keeps the low down power of the std unit, but gives so much more torque and power across the middle and top end of the rev range. This is all down to the very clever impeller design and flow of the unit.
Also worth mentioning is the excellent customer service and backup Ned provides Autolusso. And the expertise and knowledge of the company. I have nothing but good things to say, and full confidence in recommending the package. It transformed my GT and i have not stopped smiling since the upgrade to hybrid turbo.

I am happy to answer any questions about my experience with this set up, for anyone considering this package.

Damien.
skytom, baxter2308 and joeymannero like this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
I cannot recommend this enough. I have this set up on my GT clover 170, for 25k miles and it really has been totally solid, and a real game changer for this engine. Fuel economy is better than before when i ran the std 170 turbo unit. And the whole car feels better for it. It is quite striking what can be achieved with this engine. The usable torque with this set up is really something. The Turbo Dynamics hybrid turbo unit keeps the low down power of the std unit, but gives so much more torque and power across the middle and top end of the rev range. This is all down to the very clever impeller design and flow of the unit.
Also worth mentioning is the excellent customer service and backup Ned provides Autolusso. And the expertise and knowledge of the company. I have nothing but good things to say, and full confidence in recommending the package. It transformed my GT and i have not stopped smiling since the upgrade to hybrid turbo.

I am happy to answer any questions about my experience with this set up, for anyone considering this package.

Damien.
I have the same turbo and map from AL and TD, +1 to everything said above by Damien.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I can't imagine what 240bhp feels like in my GT. I'm sure it would be pretty rapid.

I guess this needs a much stronger clutch too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Ned... Why do you sell these things, you know I'm going to buy one. Stop it!!! Right Now!!!

Give it 12 months and I really am going to end up like one of those blokes at the side of the road carrier bags in hand just shouting at traffic.
AO Silver Member

It is rapid!

When mine was mapped Ned said there was more to be had, I elected to hold back until I can afford the stage two clutch.

Couple of months and it will be all go for final state of tune.

Its already proper quick and has left many of the usual suspects looking very surprised on the very rare occasion I decide to reveal to an unsuspecting boy racer what she us capable of.

Clutch choices are definitely worth consideration if you go down this route...

But even with this in mind worth every penny and more.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I can't imagine what 240bhp feels like in my GT. I'm sure it would be pretty rapid.

I guess this needs a much stronger clutch too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its properly amazing mate. Add water meth injection into that and things get more interesting. I will be soon Dyno mapping her to see the full potential of this set up. My GT is a real Italian sleeper, and i love that fact.

Damien.
DNG
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Well if I do have to get rid of the GT and get something cheaper to run I will factor in a extra grand if I go down the diesel route. Sounds like it would be lot of fun
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT Blackline Jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

Damien.
Hi Damien,

I am considering this upgrade but would be interested to know what other parts you have changed to accept the additional torque and how the car performs in comparison to a V6 GT. I've had my Blackline for 5 years and love it. Tried to force myself to sell it twice and even went as far as going to look at a Brera a few weeks back but I love my GT too much.

I'm interested in the straight line 30 to 70mph performance rather than 0-60mph and I don't take risks on B-roads/bends.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give on this upgrade. I'd be concerned about the gearbox as I'm told that it can only happily accept up to 195 to 200 bhp. I'd swap out the clutch for a stage 2 and consider a Q2 at the same time.

Also how did it affect your insurance premiums?

Sorry for the number of questions but I want to understand as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudline View Post
Hi Damien,

I am considering this upgrade but would be interested to know what other parts you have changed to accept the additional torque and how the car performs in comparison to a V6 GT. I've had my Blackline for 5 years and love it. Tried to force myself to sell it twice and even went as far as going to look at a Brera a few weeks back but I love my GT too much.

I'm interested in the straight line 30 to 70mph performance rather than 0-60mph and I don't take risks on B-roads/bends.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give on this upgrade. I'd be concerned about the gearbox as I'm told that it can only happily accept up to 195 to 200 bhp. I'd swap out the clutch for a stage 2 and consider a Q2 at the same time.

Also how did it affect your insurance premiums?

Sorry for the number of questions but I want to understand as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Mate.

I understand how you feel. I sold my first modified GT and regretted it! Even after leaving the Alfa fold for a while for a modified german machine, i came back to another GT. The Brera is more a comfy cruiser, the GT has so much potential. My car is testament to that. But i knew what was possible having contemplated most of it with my last example.

As for comparison to a 3.2 well obviously the v6 unit is all about revs. The diesel unit with hybrid is a bloody torque monster. My engine pulls strong from 2.5k to redline, and the power is so readily available and usable. I love the power delivery grunt and torque. Which actually feels really linear, like a bigger block engine at times not turbo.

Clutch well this is a subject into its own. What you require is very dependant on how much you want to push the car. Ned recommends his SMF with GTA clutch kit. And makes great financial sense. I am wishing to go a lot further so i have a bespoke duel fibre stage 2 unit. Which i am fitting today. Will let you know how it feels.

I have FMIC and WMI. I also have a full wizard exhaust system which really helps the flow and create more power. I also have the 170 higher flow injectors with my model. With this kind of torque the q2 i would say is a must have. The wizard exhaust has a really satisfying growl when boost comes in and in the midrange. My manifold has been deflapped and i have a high flow inlet manifold elbow, basically eradicates the butterfly valve for better flow.

The difference this set up makes is honestly night and day to the std car. The clever hybrid turbo design means you do not loose out on low down torque, and still gain gobs of torque higher up the rev range. My oem 170 turbo used to die out up top. This hybrid just keeps on pulling. 5th gear is quite something from 3k to redline. I would also recommend a quick shift kit from M-tec really transforms the forward progress with this kind of power, and there is no if any turbo lag between shifts. The oem shift is far too long i feel for a performance machine. And the M-tec short shift bracket transforms it.

I love the busso i really do, but with my later cloverleaf i have so much usable power and still manage 48mpg's when really pressing on. Win win to me.

Damien.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Hummm, I am also keen. Wont be still after I've set up my small venture.

I would need to factor in GTA clutch kit. Koni and Eibachs will be fitted Thursday.

When my Turbo is due I think I will go for this set up.

Do I need Q2? Mine wont be for hammering, really iust for safer overtaking and effortless driving.
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post

I would need to factor in GTA clutch kit. Koni and Eibachs will be fitted Thursday.

Do I need Q2? Mine wont be for hammering, really iust for safer overtaking and effortless driving.
The q2 is a nicety and really adds to the dynamics in putting the power down. Overtaking is effortless So much more torque in mid and upper its lovely.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

I personally wouldn't be without my Quaife, the way it pulls the car round corners,through roundabouts and keeps the torque steer under control is wonderful...

and you say it won't be for ''hammering'' but it's funny thing with this power, once it's there you will want to explore it and the quaife will ensure you can do that more safely...

it makes a huge difference ,especially in the wet, also the stock diff is a weak point in the gearbox ,replacing it will ensure the box can handle the torque levels the hybrid will provide.

my tuppence.
Fidge likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Ned, what other turbos is your turbo a hybrid of ? Does it have turbines and /or compressors from a different turbo or something ? Whats modified on it or custom made ?

You quote 240 for CF4 engines, is that for the 170s or the 150s ? Surely they cant all make that ?

Whats the advantages of your hybrid over fitting a GTB2056v ?

Quote:
Believe me mate you DO want a front LSD, Q2 or Quaife, they transform the car's handling, even at low speeds and when you arent "hammering".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...iff-makes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I
the stock diff is a weak point in the gearbox ,replacing it will ensure the box can handle the torque levels the hybrid will provide.
I think its just the GTA/GT 3.2 diffs that are weak and explode, I ve not heard anything about JTD cars having diff troubles.

Last edited by typos1; 12-04-16 at 17:49.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
I think its just the GTA/GT 3.2 diffs that are weak and explode, I ve not heard anything about JTD cars having diff troubles.
Diesels do seem to blow them up less often, but they do blow them up. I remember Angel Tuning blowing one up about 10 years ago when pushing their 10v demonstrator car. Its the same gearbox family (C630/C632) and same diff.
AO Gold Member

So for me to do this:

1000 on the hybrid turbo and remap.
600? For the Q2
350ish on a GTA clutch kit.

And I would have a 240bhp Alfa GT.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Has anybody got dyno graphs showing this setup? Very interested to see the torque curve.
(Post Link) post #18 of 89 Old 13-04-16 Thread Starter
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
So for me to do this:

1000 on the hybrid turbo and remap.
600? For the Q2
350ish on a GTA clutch kit.

And I would have a 240bhp Alfa GT.
Close

1,000 inc VAT for Hybrid turbo supplied and fitted, custom mapping, EGR delete
600 inc VAT Quaife diff kit (excluding fitting)
350 inc VAT solid flywheel with GTA clutch (excluding fitting)

Ned
(Post Link) post #19 of 89 Old 13-04-16 Thread Starter
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Ned, what other turbos is your turbo a hybrid of ? Does it have turbines and /or compressors from a different turbo or something ? Whats modified on it or custom made ?

You quote 240 for CF4 engines, is that for the 170s or the 150s ? Surely they cant all make that ?

Whats the advantages of your hybrid over fitting a GTB2056v ?

Your car will have the correct turbo on it so it would be a straight forward swap over. These turbo's are custom made for us by Turbo Dynamics

The 170 and 150 both have the same ECU's and have the same hardware and software numbers

The GTB2056 won't fit on your manifold so you you would have the expence of making a manifold and the mapping is unknown where are we have done these before. We would not be able to offer the GTB2056 as a package like we can on the Hybrid

Ned
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

This is all very tempting if my 3.2 V6 plans don't play out! :P
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Your car will have the correct turbo on it so it would be a straight forward swap over. These turbo's are custom made for us by Turbo Dynamics

The 170 and 150 both have the same ECU's and have the same hardware and software numbers

The GTB2056 won't fit on your manifold so you you would have the expence of making a manifold and the mapping is unknown where are we have done these before. We would not be able to offer the GTB2056 as a package like we can on the Hybrid

Ned
Thanks for your reply Ned.

I realise its a straight swap, was just wondering what the spec of the Turbo Dynamics turbo is, whats changed or modified etc ?

I know the ECUs are the same for 150s and 170s, but the injectors, injection pump and turbo are different on 170 cars, ok the turbo will be changed, but wont the different injectors and higher pressure pump will mean 170 engines make more than 150 ones after the turbo is swapped ?
AO Gold Member

Damian, will you be selling you SMF and Gta clutch, is there ANY slip with what your running?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Ned.

I realise its a straight swap, was just wondering what the spec of the Turbo Dynamics turbo is, whats changed or modified etc ?

I know the ECUs are the same for 150s and 170s, but the injectors, injection pump and turbo are different on 170 cars, ok the turbo will be changed, but wont the different injectors and higher pressure pump will mean 170 engines make more than 150 ones after the turbo is swapped ?
ECU's are actually different, I know this because Damien's map could not be loaded onto my car for this very reason..

the main difference with the Autolusso/TD hybrid is a bigger compressor wheel (56mm) there are some other bits as well ,would have to pull the receipt out..

the point is if AL do it all under one roof you have one point of contact from start to finish with the process, because my hybrid just predates this package I went my own way and things didn't go entirely smoothly,and it was more expensive.

In the end I went to Ned and it all came together nicely..

FYI I have the 150 car and the injectors and pump are not the limiting factor to big numbers ,the transmission (clutch ,flywheel) is likely to let go before the limit is reached on either engine..but if you were able to solve this then ultimately the 170 has the potential for more power..

I think the autolusso single mass flywheel and GTA clutch is good for 240 BHP and on balance the best option available, but I wouldn't want to push it much farther than that as the diesel power delivery is so different to the V6.

oh and you may also need 3 bar map sensor for the bigger numbers. mine is currently roughly 225 BHP and absolutely lovely!

I am sure Ned would agree and why he has suggested 240 as a limit, the engine can make more, but other components will struggle to handle it.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
ECU's are actually different, I know this because Damien's map could not be loaded onto my car for this very reason..

the main difference with the Autolusso/TD hybrid is a bigger compressor wheel (56mm) there are some other bits as well ,would have to pull the receipt out..

the point is if AL do it all under one roof you have one point of contact from start to finish with the process, because my hybrid just predates this package I went my own way and things didn't go entirely smoothly,and it was more expensive.

In the end I went to Ned and it all came together nicely..

FYI I have the 150 car and the injectors and pump are not the limiting factor to big numbers ,the transmission (clutch ,flywheel) is likely to let go before the limit is reached on either engine..but if you were able to solve this then ultimately the 170 has the potential for more power..

I think the autolusso single mass flywheel and GTA clutch is good for 240 BHP and on balance the best option available, but I wouldn't want to push it much farther than that as the diesel power delivery is so different to the V6.

oh and you may also need 3 bar map sensor for the bigger numbers. mine is currently roughly 225 BHP and absolutely lovely!

I am sure Ned would agree and why he has suggested 240 as a limit, the engine can make more, but other components will struggle to handle it.
All 1.9 16v have the same basic Bosch EDC16 ECU, obviously the maps are different for 170 cars and you cant just swap maps between 170s and 150s or even 140s for that matter, even if they use the same ECU, it doesnt work like that.

I ddint say the injectors or pump were limiters, just pointed out that theyre different on 170s - higher pressure pump, higher flowing injectors, its a perfectly legitimate question why the 2 versions end up with the same approx output.

3 bar MAFs do help with higher outputs - JTD Performance supplies 3 bar sensors with their turbos.

There are a fair few examples of 280bhp+ 1.9s around that are perfectly reliable, the main limiting factor is the gearbox which is rated for 300lbs/ft.

I d need to know every last detail of the mod if I m spending a grand, hence me asking what the differences/tubo mods are.

Last edited by typos1; 14-04-16 at 10:12.
(Post Link) post #25 of 89 Old 14-04-16 Thread Starter
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Full specification of our turbo as requested

GT1756V Billet Hybrid Turbo
Custom 56mm extended tip billet compressor wheel
Cutback Turbine Wheel Exducer Blades
360 Degree thrust assembly
Staggered Gap oil seal
Unique VNT settings for maximum performance

This is on a 777250 CF4 turbo

Ned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , autolusso , cf4 , hybrid , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page