Autolusso Hybrid turbo CF4 147 & GT - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 39Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Yes there are brackets being fabricated now. Guy in Italy sells them. An Italian friend of mine just did the conversion with a set of adapter brackets.
I went down the other route as i managed to get hold of some 3.2 uprights for a decent price. Ned had them powder coated. We also fitted brand new later GTA callipers, and we used new 164 steering arms. So yes it was eye wateringly expensive at the time. But hey i am a fussy git and wanted it done right and with new parts. My car is a keeper. So each step of my project has to be OCD spot on.

As to what power level is safe well, how long is a piece of string. Depends how you use the car, but driveshafts etc and gearbox seem to cope well with around 270plus. The question is how much in theory do you need? I personally think 250-60 is a nice place to be with the GT. Solid reliability and the car is not over stretched mechanically. I have also taken a lot of dead weight out of my car, so with slightly better power to weight and it is physically noticeable.

Damien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I had a pair of brackets made a few years ago that allow GTA 330mm calipers to be bolted to the standard hub carriers. Cost me about 200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
I know Dan had brackets made of this so talk to him about that but the right way of doing it is to use GTA uprights like we did on Damies car but this starts getting expensive. The other way of doing it is fitting the Brembo callipers fitted to the Mito as these bolt straight on but you are a bit limited in the pads you can us as they don't make Performance Friction pads yet to fit these callipers (I did say yet as we are working on it)
I see, I stand corrected on the 330 brackets, but its still ridiculously expensive as 330 calipers prices are sky high. Personally I think 166 Brembos + brackets are the way to go simply cos theyre so much cheaper and just as "proper" as using GTA 330s - the GTA 330s are mounted using brackets as well.

Youve got a set of 166 Brembos as well, havent you Dan ? Got them fitted yet ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member

County: Cumbria
No not fitted the 166 Brembos yet. I'm not keen on the brackets I have with them. I'd prefer a single piece bracket rather than a bracket & spacer, and then yet another spacer to spread the caliper out to take a 32mm disc. GTA uprights are better, especially on a lower car as they give less negative camber. Even better, just use a GTA steering rack when you fit them

Anyway, plenty of brake upgrade threads already out there, let's not make this into one
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
No not fitted the 166 Brembos yet. I'm not keen on the brackets I have with them. I'd prefer a single piece bracket rather than a bracket & spacer, and then yet another spacer to spread the caliper out to take a 32mm disc. GTA uprights are better, especially on a lower car as they give less negative camber. Even better, just use a GTA steering rack when you fit them

Anyway, plenty of brake upgrade threads already out there, let's not make this into one
A GTA steering rack ? Hmm, I wouldnt be keen on the 10 mile turning circle after fitting one ! There are ways of dealing with the camber problem, as I m sure you know

(Agreed about bracket and spacer set up, but you can get single piece brackets as well (not good to hear if youve got the 2 piece ones, I know) plus the single piece bracket allows fitment of (lighter) 28mm discs, so you wouldnt need spacers for the calipers).

Last edited by typos1; 23-06-16 at 00:13.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
A GTA steering rack ? Hmm, I wouldnt be keen on the 10 mile turning circle after fitting one ! There are ways of dealing with the camber problem, as I m sure you know

(Agreed about bracket and spacer set up, you can get single piece brackets as well, not good to hear if youve got the 2 piece ones, I know).

looking at this at the moment and there are only really to ways to do it ''right'' one is the GTA uprights and 330mm discs and 4 pot brembo's and the other is punto /mito " 2pot brembo's and 305mm discs..the latter is much easier of course...
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Is this hybrid turbo charger and egr delete available in Bournemouth ?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
looking at this at the moment and there are only really to ways to do it ''right'' one is the GTA uprights and 330mm discs and 4 pot brembo's and the other is punto /mito " 2pot brembo's and 305mm discs..the latter is much easier of course...
I respectfully disagree - there are plenty of lowered (147/156/GT) cars with or without upgraded brakes that are fine with the standard uprights camber wise and I didnt notice much of a difference with inside tyre wear between the standard and GTA uprights. Plus the 166 Brembo route is lighter than the GTA upright route, saving on unsprung weight.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I respectfully disagree - there are plenty of lowered (147/156/GT) cars with or without upgraded brakes that are fine with the standard uprights camber wise and I didnt notice much of a difference with inside tyre wear between the standard and GTA uprights. Plus the 166 Brembo route is lighter than the GTA upright route, saving on unsprung weight.
I would prefer that the brembo in the 166 be a viable option as it is MUCH cheaper to accomplish than the GTA conversion and the Punto/Mito brembo..these are just horribly priced at around 800..!

if brackets are available and it can be done without too many compromises I would happily do it, I have been advised that it requires a fair bit of fettling to get them to fit including both brackets and spacers and there may be some issues with the calipers being central.

honestly my knowledge is limited on this as I have no experience of brake upgrades beyond kits designed to do the job or fitting better pads/discs/fluid and braided hoses...as far as mixing and matching components from other models i would not know where to start.

I have come as far as I can with my stock calipers having fitted performance pads and fluid..only discs and lines now can be upgraded and the improvement will be minimal. The biggest issue is the cold performance of my current pads so I will be fitting EBC yellow stuff to see if this will give me a wider range of efficiency, I am aware I may lose a little ''hot performance'' but am happy to sacrifice this for better all round ''grab''

I am off to both Loz and Ned this week for some VNT tweaking a GTA clutch and SMF conversion and a ''final'' map, I expect to be around the 250 BHP mark and the brakes WILL need addressing...this hybrid is bl**dy awesome..!

any suggestions you have will be much appreciated, especially regarding the parts and procedure required to use the 166 calipers.

cheers

Joey

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.

Last edited by joeymannero; 23-06-16 at 21:29.
AO Member

Damien, how are you getting 48mpg. I'm slowly taken on board the offerings of the hybrid and I'm sure she has more to give.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by tejay; 23-06-16 at 21:54.
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
Damien, how are you getting 48mpg. I'm slowly taken on board the offerings of the hybrid and I'm sure she has more to give.
You have to remember i have taken quite a weight out of the car, rear seat delete and lighter stainless exhaust system. I think this helps. My MPG has been excellent and in the very high 40's 47/48. I mainly do motorway driving too.

Damien.
tejay likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I would prefer that the brembo in the 166 be a viable option as it is MUCH cheaper to accomplish than the GTA conversion and the Punto/Mito brembo..these are just horribly priced at around 800..!

if brackets are available and it can be done without too many compromises I would happily do it, I have been advised that it requires a fair bit of fettling to get them to fit including both brackets and spacers and there may be some issues with the calipers being central.

honestly my knowledge is limited on this as I have no experience of brake upgrades beyond kits designed to do the job or fitting better pads/discs/fluid and braided hoses...as far as mixing and matching components from other models i would not know where to start.

I have come as far as I can with my stock calipers having fitted performance pads and fluid..only discs and lines now can be upgraded and the improvement will be minimal. The biggest issue is the cold performance of my current pads so I will be fitting EBC yellow stuff to see if this will give me a wider range of efficiency, I am aware I may lose a little ''hot performance'' but am happy to sacrifice this for better all round ''grab''

I am off to both Loz and Ned this week for some VNT tweaking a GTA clutch and SMF conversion and a ''final'' map, I expect to be around the 250 BHP mark and the brakes WILL need addressing...this hybrid is bl**dy awesome..!

any suggestions you have will be much appreciated, especially regarding the parts and procedure required to use the 166 calipers.

cheers

Joey
If you read the thread I linked to earlier, Joey, you ll see that there are now brackets that allow you to just bolt the calipers on with no other problems.
AO Member

Quote:
If you read the thread I linked to earlier, Joey, you ll see that there are now brackets that allow you to just bolt the calipers on with no other problems.
Here is a question for the privileged few who own a hybrid turbo (ed) Q2 Alfa GT. How do you 'fast start' from standstill. I'm busting through the rev limiter so quickly in gear one that before I blink I'm in gear two, suggestions please.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Here is a question for the privileged few who own a hybrid turbo (ed) Q2 Alfa GT. How do you 'fast start' from standstill. I'm busting through the rev limiter so quickly in gear one that before I blink I'm in gear two, suggestions please.

short shift kit helps, but you need the revs higher in first and catch the clutch just right and quickly into second , to many beans and its wheel spin, not enough and you can't get a really good start..short shift kit really helps as you can change gear and stay on boost much more easily than with the stock throw...

no doubt the 1st -to 2nd gear change is vitally important in the 0-60 dash in ANY car, but in the hybrid 1.9's I would say its even more so...

another thing, I had the turbo off again recently and had it re-calibrated to just within the Garrett factory specs, and I must say the earlier the boost comes in the better...it all helps with making the gear changes feel connected..

just to say there are further developments in the pipeline, I will know exactly where I am with my car after the end of next week, I suspect the figures will be impressive and suspect there is just a touch more to be had..
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Youre using 1st ? Dont bother with it, pull away in second, it takes a bit of practise to get the technique right, but its faster.
AO Member

Quote:
Youre using 1st ? Dont bother with it, pull away in second, it takes a bit of practise to get the technique right, but its faster.
I thought someone would say "pull away in second". Wouldn't missing out the first gear do a little more damage than necessary to my clutch.

AO Member

Quote:
short shift kit helps, but you need the revs higher in first and catch the clutch just right and quickly into second , to many beans and its wheel spin, not enough and you can't get a really good start..short shift kit really helps as you can change gear and stay on boost much more easily than with the stock throw...

no doubt the 1st -to 2nd gear change is vitally important in the 0-60 dash in ANY car, but in the hybrid 1.9's I would say its even more so...

another thing, I had the turbo off again recently and had it re-calibrated to just within the Garrett factory specs, and I must say the earlier the boost comes in the better...it all helps with making the gear changes feel connected..

just to say there are further developments in the pipeline, I will know exactly where I am with my car after the end of next week, I suspect the figures will be impressive and suspect there is just a touch more to be had..
Would you get a bit of a jolt, if you map an earlier boost. Not the most pleasant ride for passengers.

AO Silver Member

All down to driving style and how you balance right foot and left foot in order to keep the turbo in the "sweet spot"

Anyway ..don't carry passengers often and when I do tend to drive in a much less spirited manner..!

P.s

Pulling away in 2nd with an smf puts some rather large vibrations through the car unless you get the revs pretty high..not sure its a good idea from a longevity point of view..

Last edited by joeymannero; 08-08-16 at 19:24.
Club Member

Quote:
All down to driving style and how you balance right foot and left foot in order to keep the turbo in the "sweet spot"

Anyway ..don't carry passengers often and when I do tend to drive in a much less spirited manner..!

P.s

Pulling away in 2nd with an smf puts some rather large vibrations through the car unless you get the revs pretty high..not sure its a good idea from a longevity point of view..
Nope it isn't Joe jesus..lol..

Use first gear guys. I find using slightly higher revs at all costs, rather than accelerating in big cogs from low down in the rev range. Or rev match your gear changes. Much less stress on the drive train.
Also you experience less smoke out the back, when you select a gear when already slightly up the rev range around and over 3.5k. Which all mapped diesels, whatever the brand experience. The Autolusso smf GTA setup has proved to be absolutely solid for the hybrid turbo power and torque. But for longevity be mindful how you apply the power, a bit of mechanical sympathy goes along way.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I thought someone would say "pull away in second". Wouldn't missing out the first gear do a little more damage than necessary to my clutch.

I ve been pulling away in second for years and despite being told I d wear my clutches prematurely by many people, I ve never actually experienced it . . .

Quote:
. . . cant comment on doing it with an smf though, but if its that bad then I deffo wont be fitting an smf when my clutch needs doing.

If youve got an smf tejay try it a few times and see.
Club Member

Quote:
I ve been pulling away in second for years and despite being told I d wear my clutches prematurely by many people, I ve never actually experienced it . . .

. . . cant comment on doing it with an smf though, but if its that bad then I deffo wont be fitting an smf when my clutch needs doing.

If youve got an smf tejay try it a few times and see.
Why the hell would you encourage people to labour the engine, trying it with the smf? Joe told you the effect it has. You have been pulling away in 2nd for years? You slipping the clutch to get away then? Or you just too lazy to bother going through the gears. Ridiculous, there is a reason the car has a first gear. The Autolusso smf is the answer clutch wise to make great power with this engine. But you wont fit one because you cannot pull away in 2nd...."comedy gold right there"..lol

Damien.
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Why the hell would you encourage people to labour the engine, trying it with the smf? Joe told you the effect it has. You have been pulling away in 2nd for years? You slipping the clutch to get away then? Or you just too lazy to bother going through the gears. Ridiculous, there is a reason the car has a first gear. The Autolusso smf is the answer clutch wise to make great power with this engine. But you wont fit one because you cannot pull away in 2nd...."comedy gold right there"..lol

Damien.
And gear box and diff issues. The Merc sprinter when that first came out with the Cdi engine had gear box issues, people were setting off in 2nd...the strain is not good, not something I would do on a dual mass fly wheel. But hey ho if it works it works.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
And gear box and diff issues. The Merc sprinter when that first came out with the Cdi engine had gear box issues, people were setting off in 2nd...the strain is not good, not something I would do on a dual mass fly wheel. But hey ho if it works it works.
I'll be sticking gear one (don't have a slush fund for R&D on a new SMF). I had a drive in a GT3 and the shift was short, I was in before I'd finished thinking about it. I'll be looking to order one of those short shifters as i liked the shift on the GT3 even though I struggled to distinguish 2 from 3 a few times to my embarrassment. I'll also never complain about my clutch being stiff, the gt3 made me develop a pound of muscle in the short time in drove the car. So anyone have a short shift going for a discount?
Quote:

Damien.

(Post Link) post #72 of 83 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Here are the results from yesterdays dyno session with Damien's GT Cloverleaf after resolving a few boost leak issues

Yes that does say 277 BHP

Spectacular

Ned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NO METH, WITH METH, MAPPED.jpg (114.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0818a.JPG (176.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0816.JPG (176.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.JPG (209.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg STOCK VS MAPPED.jpg (112.2 KB, 23 views)
tejay, t3yls, ALFADOIT and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Autolusso; 12-08-16 at 20:48. Reason: Because I can't spell
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Saw that post on Facebook and assumed it must have been Damien's.

Excellent stuff guys!

This is one of the only times I wish I lived in the UK.......just to get a cheap derv GT and do what Damien has done with Autolusso's help!
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member

Yes massive result yesterday. Was a testing time as i had a few boost leaks from the intercooler pipes. But bumper off all the silicone hose clips were tightened and off we went again. I know it goes without saying, but i will say it anyway. Cannot thank Ned and Autolusso enough for working with me to develop this car. Its been a learning time the last few years. But Ned with his experience steered the modification ship in the right direction, and this is what is achievable with this engine. In real term out on the road its phenomenal. So much usable power right across the rev range. I hope more people now realise and believe what is capable with these coupes.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
+63% verses what it came out of the factory with....

One helluva job guys, really impressive what you've achieved here!

Never thought I'd say this,, but I can't wait for my turbo to be on it's way out so I can jump on this mad Hybrid set-up
ALFADOIT and LittleGTV like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , autolusso , cf4 , hybrid , turbo