Key woes part deux - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Key woes part deux

Hi Folks,

Having issues with both my alfa 147 key fobs, neither are working at the moment so I'm having to open doors/boot with the key manually. However with the locks frozen this morning and me locked out of the car I've decided to try to do something about it

I noticed that both keys have something rattling around inside... so I opened the battery compartment and out falls a little surface mount device (not sure what it is... a microswitch maybe, it has 4 solder points, one on each corner).

So I proceed to try to open the key fob only find its like fort knox. I found the little screw behind the alfa emblem and took it out, thought that would have made it easy to pop open, but no... still sealed around the edges.

Anyone got any tips on how to open the key???

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Re: Key woes part deux

Some keys are glued and can not be opened without beeing broken or completely destroyed. I donk know if the the key version depends on the market or something else, but there are definitely two sorts of keys. Both look the same, you can recognize them only when you try to open them.
AO Member
County: -

You have to be careful once you've removed the screw behind the alfa badge. I've used the instructions from the hyperlink above and they were pretty good, although the micro switch is very difficult to source. Luckily mine was okay, it had just come off the circuit board. If yours looks like that then pressing the buttons should tell you which one it is. Mine was glued or something along the back so I'd recommend you only open the key far enough to pop the circuit board out.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Cheers folks.

Managed to get the key opened, it was glued right enough... Used a stanley blade to cut it open along the edge, which did the trick. Managed to solder the smt component back on to the pcb and the key is now working again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

deux , key , part , woes