Catch 22 - Food for thought... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 10Likes

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Yes, I'd be offering 3.5, maybe 4 for that one. Needs belt immediately - drive away on trailer, don't use the engine once you have handed over the money. For 5k I would be expecting a car that needed work, but that I could confidently drive for a few thousand miles without needing to spend another few grand on. I think that will probably sit there for quite some time at that price - maybe someone will eventually turn up with 5K burning a hole in their pocket, maybe not.

Considering what I paid for my SW, the bodywork of this one is not much better - OK, I needed a door (but they are cheap) and a wing, this one needs two wings (expensive) and a front end respray. The engine looks like it has been on the sea bed for a decade.

Honestly, if i wasn't doing the work myself, I'd be very wary of all 156s. They're old, and you could easily spend eight grand on a 15 year old car that still needs major work. Don't be me wrong, they're great cars, but there is some pretty good machinery out there for that sort of money.
baxter2308 likes this.

Last edited by rxe; 28-03-16 at 13:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 32 Old 07-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Ooohhh. Now then... I thought I was over this.

Alfa Romeo 156 3.2 GTA 4dr
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Could go either way, that one.

I think it will need 4 new tyres for starters, no mention of last cambelt change date/mileage.

'Just shy' of 300bhp sounds ambitious.

Would need a proper look I guess.

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Also no picture of the engine bay/bolster which always annoys me on these.
(Post Link) post #30 of 32 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Would anybody recommend a 2.5V6 or is the 3.2 where it's at? A reasonably rare 156 has come up which looks fairly good on the surface, usual checks required obviously. Something might be going on with the front bumper which looks a little wierd in the pictures, but small potatoes, these are being snapped up quickly and I did say that I always wanted one.

Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 Turismo 4dr
AO Member

County: Devon
I'd seen that one on Autotrader. Personally, I think the pre-facelift 156 is a beautiful car and in 2.5 V6 form is guaranteed to be an appreciating modern classic from now on. Modern Classics magazine did a feature on them a couple of months ago and were very favourable in their comments. Those wheels aren't original though - I'd want teledials but that's easy to sort. If I didn't love the GT so much, I would be very happy to own a 156 2.5 in either saloon or sportwagon form. Go for it.
baxter2308 likes this.

Current cars : 2004 GT 3.2 standard + Q2, 2004 2.0 JTS Spider. Previous Italian cars: GTV 3.0 P2 (916), 146ti, Spider 2.0 TS (916) x2, 147 2.0 TS, GT Cloverleaf Jtdm, GT Jtdm (crushed by tractor), Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo, Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo.
(Post Link) post #32 of 32 Old 09-04-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

I should really finish off this thread... It took another 12 months but I did buy one, didn't expect a GTA but I won't argue.

I wonder what happened to the red one. I hope someone rescued it because it had the potential but really it was best for a DIY'er, who has the tools, time and space to really dig into it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , busso , gta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page