Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon Rolling Project - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 24Likes

(Post Link) post #76 of 85 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
So picked up interior today from Stockton on tees. Someone was breaking a SW in silver which had a nice low mileage interior.
Momo blue/grey

Before fitting though i decided to check out the floor underneath the carpet as i knew i had a crusty drain hole.
Cleaned the sound deadening away and after a quick clean on wire wheel i had 3 large holes. Promptly patched and welded up. Not the best job but solid again
Zinc primed, just need to seal and paint.

Anyway after that i gave the car a mightly good clean and then fitted the front and rear seats. Looks nice and plish. Did the pillar panels aswell, just got door cards to sort out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1667.jpg (27.0 KB, 7 views)

Running Spec: 2003 156 GTA Rosso 330's, Drilled/grooved discs, AL Lrg Mocal Cooler, Fully PU'd, PF/SF, AL Blk Si intake hose, K&N rep filter, Scorpion exhaust. Eibach arb's, Red Si coolant/intake pipes, Meyle HD, CF2, Wizard pipe, Weichers Fr SB, Quaife

2002 156 Sportwagon 2.4JTD
AP Sus, GTA ARB/PU bushes, Meyle HD, AL Si intake pipe/vac hoses, Blue Leather retro fit, maybe other things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #77 of 85 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
So took the wifes SW to Dan @ Autolusso Penrith today for an abs sensor diagnosis, suspension health check which resulted in buying more parts haha
Got to replace the upper arms and then every part in the suspension has been replaced.

Also gave the car a remap and boy does she go now, and believe it or not its even better on fuel on even more short motorway journey home.

I also bought a 6 speed box off Dan, so when the clutch does finally give up she will be getting that fitted aswell.
Apart from the upper arms, i just have some cleaning up to do and finish fitting new interior and fit those Veloce sideskirts.
The remap shocked my wife slightly, but she loves it

Thanks Dan
Pud237 likes this.
(Post Link) post #78 of 85 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
So last night after work i decided i had to change upper arms as i am doing another almost 850miles over the weekend.
Actually it was a very quick easy job. Took 1hr to do the first one and 30mins for the second!
Starting to get well practised in the art of doing 156 jobs. No expert by any means but definitely learning my way around the car.

I had been getting a slight knock, but a few nights ago the little knock got louder and louder.
I did the offending side first and found the bush on one side was rattling around like mad. In fact is was soo loose i could move it about with my fingers and almost pulled it out completely!
The other side the rubber bush had melted and was able to rotate!

I have a receipt that these parts were fitted in November. Therefore these were cheap probably from an auction site. Please i beg people out there to fit decent quality parts. It can cost you your life or at the very best another expensive bill in a couple months to do the job again.
Birth upper arms tut tut. Replaced with TRW

Last edited by will01; 05-08-16 at 13:23.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Pics of the gearknob please, I'm using a skanky old 156 GTA gearknob on my 10v as it was the only one I had with the correct 6-speed graphic with reverse in the bottom right.
(Post Link) post #80 of 85 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Look on 1st page of this thread at the bottom. you would have seen it when doing the remap aswell haha. Not noticeable as it looks very stock. Its just you need make up small collar to get a good fit on the stick. Ours has been fine though for past 7k miles
Club Member

Oh yeah, I remember it now. I was thinking of the old school solid metal Richbrook gearknobs.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #82 of 85 Old 15-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Read a few codes tonight. Found the scan lead i first got was duff so got a replacement.

Airbag have a few faults
0F side airbag passenger (intermittent)
21 curtian airbag squib driver (permanent)
0E side airbag driver (intermittent)
02 control unit power supply (intermittent)

ABS
For Brake fault it says C1216 rear left wheel speed sensor seems to be intermittent as it sometimes comes on! Can take 2 miles or can take 200miles to come on. It depends but sometimes it flags up VDC and EBD aswell.
Strange because if you wheelspin then u sometimes only get VDC error. But the others seem to illuminate more often if you brake hard and then all 3 errors illuminate!!

Also finding it really hard to start and it takes quite a bit of cranking say 8secs to start and sometimes needs a little rev.
P0380 board relay, thermostarter or preheat ecu (fatal)
P0404 EGR (invalid signal?)

EGR i cleaned out as it was all gummed up, but i wonder if the remap is doing this. I don't care as it doesn't bother me. Maybe blank at somepoint.
The P0380 is the urgent one i need to sort before it gets much colder and then it won't start.

Other than that we have been properly clocking up the miles in the SW, 11.5K since purchase!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will01 View Post
Read a few codes tonight. Found the scan lead i first got was duff so got a replacement.

Airbag have a few faults
0F side airbag passenger (intermittent)
21 curtian airbag squib driver (permanent)
0E side airbag driver (intermittent)
02 control unit power supply (intermittent)

ABS
For Brake fault it says C1216 rear left wheel speed sensor seems to be intermittent as it sometimes comes on! Can take 2 miles or can take 200miles to come on. It depends but sometimes it flags up VDC and EBD aswell.
Strange because if you wheelspin then u sometimes only get VDC error. But the others seem to illuminate more often if you brake hard and then all 3 errors illuminate!!

Also finding it really hard to start and it takes quite a bit of cranking say 8secs to start and sometimes needs a little rev.
P0380 board relay, thermostarter or preheat ecu (fatal)
P0404 EGR (invalid signal?)

EGR i cleaned out as it was all gummed up, but i wonder if the remap is doing this. I don't care as it doesn't bother me. Maybe blank at somepoint.
The P0380 is the urgent one i need to sort before it gets much colder and then it won't start.

Other than that we have been properly clocking up the miles in the SW, 11.5K since purchase!

ABS is likely to be the steering angle adjustment, which gets thrown out of whack when you have it four wheel aligned, or suspension components replaced. You'll find a tab in MES adjustments, then just straighten the front wheels and set. On the starting issue, that code is for the glow plug relay box which is on the bulkhead, but is unlikely to be the cause of the poor starting. Been covered here many times, she should easily start without the plugs, well before 8 seconds. Try and read the live parameters on MES when starting from cold, looking at battery voltage and fuel rail pressure. I think you are looking for about 350 bar fuel pressure when cranking over, and that should be immediate. Airbags, can't help you with, maybe clearing the codes will keep them at bay.
will01 likes this.
Club Member

Clear airbag faults and see what comes back on immediately.

EGR sounds like it isn't plugged in properly (the plugs can be dodgy)
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #85 of 85 Old 16-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks guys, will take a look

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , jtd , project , rolling , sportwagon