Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon Rolling Project - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 24Likes

(Post Link) post #51 of 85 Old 29-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocad View Post

I put 147 GTA front shocks, 40mm lower springs all round and poly bushed the roll bar. This worked really well. Although its lower the front end is firmer, so wallows a lot less and didn't ground as often. 17in Selespeed alloys worked really well with this combination, having the same tyres on all 4 corners is a must. I drove it from 60-140k and still wish I hadn't sold it.

)
I was toying with idea of fitting the GTA shocks and springs of fmy GTA and treat my GTA to full coilover setup, but i really need it sorting quickly and the GTA will get coilovers next year maybe if im lucky. Really the last mod i want to make and keep putting it off haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #52 of 85 Old 04-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Anyone know of any other 156 2.4JTD 10V Saloons or Sportwagons for sale?
I am looking for another SW possibly 2 or one Saloon and one SW. My parents and parents in law want one each for themselves as they like our SW soo much
Not bad since both sets of parents have never liked Alfa's but we have converted them lol
(Post Link) post #53 of 85 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Parts are starting to arrive at the house, New AP suspension kit has arrived and looks good.
Got more aparts on order with pud so will be doing a full suspension overhaul, new bushes and arb's etc from my GTA.
I kinda wish i knew about these workhorses before because the 10V diesel is great fun and cheap

Also still on look out for some more Diesel 156's. I need at least 1x 2.4JTD 10V sportwagon for my parents.
Also need another 156 either 1.9 or 2.4 in saloon or Sportwagon version for my in laws.

Running Spec: 2003 156 GTA Rosso 330's, Drilled/grooved discs, AL Lrg Mocal Cooler, Fully PU'd, PF/SF, AL Blk Si intake hose, K&N rep filter, Scorpion exhaust. Eibach arb's, Red Si coolant/intake pipes, Meyle HD, CF2, Wizard pipe, Weichers Fr SB, Quaife

2002 156 Sportwagon 2.4JTD
AP Sus, GTA ARB/PU bushes, Meyle HD, AL Si intake pipe/vac hoses, Blue Leather retro fit, maybe other things!

(Post Link) post #54 of 85 Old 10-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Update, we now have a 55 reg 156 1.9JTD 16V.
So i only now require a Sportwagon 2.4JTD 10V, let me know if you guys see anything
(Post Link) post #55 of 85 Old 13-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Just remembered i hadn't purchased new droplinks for suspension overhaul this weekend. Just got Front & Rear Meyle HD droplinks with priority delivery in 2-4 days(hopefully before weekend!) under 43!
Not sure i will get the front arb fitted aswell, but we will see. The rear at least will be changed over
(Post Link) post #56 of 85 Old 15-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Minor overhaul about to begin for the weekend.
Picked the last parts up from Dan @ Autolusso penrith this afternoon.

Unfortunately that visit is swaying me even more towards fitting a 6spped box, but hey why not!

Got alot to do, so will post some pics after weekend. Looking forward to the drive after she is done. Then she is going for a remap.
(Post Link) post #57 of 85 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Jobs done today.
New Lower suspension arms
New Meyle HD droplinks
GTA ARB front & Stronglfex PU bushes
New Autolusso Silicone blue turbo hose cut down and fitted at bottom
Fit BMC replacement filter element
Fitted new AP shocks and springs at front
Fit new topmounts

Jobs for tomorrow
Fit new arch liners
Fill gearbox oil. not much came out even when i popped the shafts!!!!!!
Rear AP shocks and springs
GTA arb and strongflex pu bushes
New meyle HD droplinks
PU rear hub to tie bar bush
Fit new top mounts
Maybe if we have time and have enough bolts i will fit GTA floor stiffening plates that run under the car.

Jobs for few months time.
Need to do top suspension arms as noticed they are a bit loose. Probably be ok for few months but will need doing. Shame because i would have sorted at same time, but i thought they were ok. Oh well at least everything come undone easily enough

Like to do stuff
Remap
New clutch and 6speed box because it does make the car better. No point doing box without clutch. GTA quickshifter
Discs will be replaced with Vented grooved/dimpled ones when required with upgraded pads
Fit veloce sideskirts after painted
Fit bonnet pins to make sure

Its funny, but with everything listed above and buying the car i am still under 2k total spend. That in my book is great for what it will give

County: -
My Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 mjtd, super car, is very comfortable.

http://www.mojauto.rs/data/images/20...1462791983.jpg
(Post Link) post #59 of 85 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
18hrs in total. Need to fix rear abs sensors with new ones. This was because i decided to remove both hubs to make it easier to do pu bushes and seperate damper from hub.
The SW drives real nice and much better than before. Almost drives as good as the GTA!
EGR clean still to do and then will be taking it for remap.
(Post Link) post #60 of 85 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I just can't get over how much this car is improved over standard. I have had the last couple of days flinging it about driving to and from work. In roundabouts it just keeps gripping and you can properly attack the corners.
When we do eventually retire this car as the family car i am going to make it into a trackday estate wagon!
The rear is nicely balanced and the GTA arb's have obviously done the car a world of good. If you get any understeer just a slight lift and you can get the nose back in again. Love this car even more.
AO Member

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by will01 View Post
I just can't get over how much this car is improved over standard. I have had the last couple of days flinging it about driving to and from work. In roundabouts it just keeps gripping and you can properly attack the corners.
When we do eventually retire this car as the family car i am going to make it into a trackday estate wagon!
The rear is nicely balanced and the GTA arb's have obviously done the car a world of good. If you get any understeer just a slight lift and you can get the nose back in again. Love this car even more.
Glad it's working out for you. I was well impressed with the AP suspension when I fitted it to mine, a year on and it is still working great and looking good too. Great setup great price.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #63 of 85 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I think the car actually handles better than the GTA!
Just need more power now
AO Member

Did you fit the coil over kit or the standard kit ?
(Post Link) post #65 of 85 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Standard kit, got it direct from Netherlands from alot better price than is advertised on ebay and other places.
Got free shipping and all in it worked out 281. For that price it is superb value for money and works out cheaper and better than OE suspension. BONUS
(Post Link) post #66 of 85 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Only a 7hr drive haha. Seen it, looks good car. Distance is limiting factor unless i am down that way and it still available
AO Member

Quote:
Standard kit, got it direct from Netherlands from alot better price than is advertised on ebay and other places.
Got free shipping and all in it worked out 281. For that price it is superb value for money and works out cheaper and better than OE suspension. BONUS

Can you tell me how many coils there are in the rears ? Long story but I'm trying to rectify a disaster from fitting Intrax springs, 6 and a half coils, car on its ass with 3 of the coils bound together. From AP's website yours seem to have 4 and a half, which is the amount that were on the springs we took off.
(Post Link) post #68 of 85 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Can you tell me how many coils there are in the rears ? Long story but I'm trying to rectify a disaster from fitting Intrax springs, 6 and a half coils, car on its ass with 3 of the coils bound together. From AP's website yours seem to have 4 and a half, which is the amount that were on the springs we took off.
See picture, i think you are correct at 4.5. Either that or 5. I just going by pictures as it impossible to count on the car lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13690734_10155114202123009_4303732077944230653_n.jpg (140.4 KB, 10 views)
(Post Link) post #69 of 85 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Checked over suspension to make sure all still ok.
Got a bit of a sump leak, but will keep an eye on it as not really losing that much oil. Half dipstick oil usage in 7000miles.

Removed EGR and gave a good clean. It was completely full of black soot and seized. I am surprised it didn't have permanent MCSF error message. First removed dust and then parts washer and then EGR cleaner to finish. Re-fit making sure gaskets go back on(little tricky). Turned out to be 45min job start to finish.
Took for a drive and the flat spot has completely disappeared. Need to try with full car load but i think that has got it. Now completely ready for remap.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:
Now completely ready for remap.
Tempting fate or what? Lets see how that clutch holds up when you've got another 80lbft
will01 likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
See picture, i think you are correct at 4.5. Either that or 5. I just going by pictures as it impossible to count on the car lol
Thanks for that, think I'll order a set of AP springs then, as the eibach also have 6.5, which means they will probably bind as well. How is the ride height ? From Ap's site they indicate the front being 20 mm lower than the rears, got any pics of them fitted to the car ?
(Post Link) post #72 of 85 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for that, think I'll order a set of AP springs then, as the eibach also have 6.5, which means they will probably bind as well. How is the ride height ? From Ap's site they indicate the front being 20 mm lower than the rears, got any pics of them fitted to the car ?
Not 100% sure but i reckon they would not bind. I have given the sw a good thrashing and we live down very bumpy and undulating roads. Suspension feels great. Highly recommend the complete kit. Car is lower but just about right amount clearance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1652.jpg (109.7 KB, 8 views)
(Post Link) post #73 of 85 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Tempting fate or what? Lets see how that clutch holds up when you've got another 80lbft
Hopefully not tempting fate..... although just strippin gout rear seats and thought i would lift carpet and the first drain plug i pushed out! So i welding that when get home 2moz. Then see about fitting full leather interior.
The clutch will be fine for another couple thousand........ i hope.
Then i have perfect excuse to fit a 6speed and a gta shifter unit. Then this car would be complete. I want to get GTA sorted and get my Capri race car moving. The SW not mine, its my wifes car
AO Member

Thanks Will, looks better than mine alright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160717_185315.jpg (84.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160717_185207.jpg (76.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160717_185109.jpg (130.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Hugh Myles; 24-07-16 at 15:28.
(Post Link) post #75 of 85 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Will, looks better than mine alright.
Ok thats bound! Get that off, it could crack a coil if you hit a hard bump. That is properly crap!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , jtd , project , rolling , sportwagon