Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon Rolling Project - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 24Likes

(Post Link) post #26 of 85 Old 18-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Ok so the wheels are painted and getting new boots this week
Pics to follow, heres one from the back as a teaser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1036.jpg (28.7 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 85 Old 20-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Its unfair to tease, but see picture of Std looking 10V and original wheels and the freshly painted wheels which are getting fitted tonight with new boots and fitted to the car
Getting a little too excited, but i am keen to see how good they look on the car. Plus the car is getting a good wash so i can try to make the car look as good as the wheels.
Veloce sideskirts and some painting of parts e.g. front end, door mirrors is also on the cards very soon.
Just need to pull my finger out and make a decision and try to get hold of leather interior to really smarten Alfie up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1083.jpg (30.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1081.jpg (35.5 KB, 15 views)

Running Spec: 2003 156 GTA Rosso 330's, Drilled/grooved discs, AL Lrg Mocal Cooler, Fully PU'd, PF/SF, AL Blk Si intake hose, K&N rep filter, Scorpion exhaust. Eibach arb's, Red Si coolant/intake pipes, Meyle HD, CF2, Wizard pipe, Weichers Fr SB, Quaife

2002 156 Sportwagon 2.4JTD
AP Sus, GTA ARB/PU bushes, Meyle HD, AL Si intake pipe/vac hoses, Blue Leather retro fit, maybe other things!
(Post Link) post #28 of 85 Old 20-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Tyres fitted this afternoon and once i got Alfie home, he got a good wash aswell.
Big improvement and it is nice to now be able to trust the speedo.
I could not believe how different the wheel size were when compared against the 15" wheels with 205/55/15 tyres fitted(yes wrong size).
Easier to get in now aswell as it is not soo low haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1090.jpg (28.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1102.jpg (31.5 KB, 18 views)

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Will make it better on fuel thats for sure. I bet it rides better on those too.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #30 of 85 Old 21-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
The drive back on the country roads with the new wheels was soo much improved. I didn't have to slow for the bumps and worry about bottoming the sump. I could not believe how low the car was before! Very noticeable differece in tyre OD!

Need to get the AP susp. set on order as that will also help improve and then i can get the GTA ARB's on aswell
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Refurbed wheels make the whole car look so much sharper, and the teledials are just "right" as well.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #32 of 85 Old 02-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
BMC Replacement filter has arrived
Picking up a few more parts this week to help tart him up a little more. Hopefully it will help improve the fuel economy a little more, plus it may also sound a little more throaty
(Post Link) post #33 of 85 Old 02-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Got a few parts at home to get ready for fitting, the GTA ARB's, GTA floor stiffner plates, front subframe and radiator support cross member and a whole load of other non-Alfa parts are getting sent away for sandblasting and etch primer. This is part of our on going GTA/Capri/Jaguar/Riley restorations. I also have a Front lower strut brace that i was never happy having fitted to my GTA, but i will fit this to the Sportwagon since it will have a bit more ground clearance.
The stiffner plates, strut brace and GTA arb's combined with the AP suspension should make this Sportwagon a good handling car aswell.

I am now trying to tempt my father into buying a 2.4JTD Saloon or another Sportwagon as i think these cars are great and easy to work on.
I honestly think a 2.4JTD Saloon could make a great fast road/track car (i have too many other projects currently haha)
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by will01 View Post
The drive back on the country roads with the new wheels was soo much improved. I didn't have to slow for the bumps and worry about bottoming the sump. I could not believe how low the car was before! Very noticeable differece in tyre OD!

Need to get the AP susp. set on order as that will also help improve and then i can get the GTA ARB's on aswell
I will be very interested in what you think of the AP suspension as the set does look like good value and I would be tempted by it as my shocks are pretty tired at 159k.

Nice work so far, it's looking great.
(Post Link) post #35 of 85 Old 07-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Took her for a run down to AL Penrith today and back. Since i got home i have changed the faulty temp sensor and also repalced a crappy broken passenger door mirror unit for one off another car. Needs paint though!
Also got the pavement down the side of my drive laid roughly so my wife and kids can get alongside the cars without falling into a ditch lol
Club Member
Membro Premio

Did the temp sensor sort out the gauge?
(Post Link) post #37 of 85 Old 07-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Did the temp sensor sort out the gauge?
Seems to yup. It took like 20-25mins to get upto 70C!
but at least it reading somewhere sensible on gauge.

got some blue silicon vacuum hose on order to replace all the perished looking hoses.

Dan, don't worry bout rear hub/trailing arm bushes. i gonna try strongflex kit

Need to find paint code so i can get the right paint for mirror and bumpers.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

Should find the paint code on the tailgate, where the lock is, sticker placed there.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #39 of 85 Old 08-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Took the family for a afternoon out round the coast to enjoy the lovely weather. Been down the beach and clocked up a good 70+miles. The A/C was very welcome and blew nice and cold.
Also nice to note the temp gauge reads properly now. I think it was due to faulty aftermarket sender as it was reading very high. All day the temp gauge sat between 70 & 95 mark
Avg. 57mpg aswell apparently!(prob more like high 40's or 50)

County: Surrey
Quote:
...I honestly think a 2.4JTD Saloon could make a great fast road/track car...
I've just picked up a 2.4 JTD Sportwagon and during the course of my job got to do a few laps of Lydden Hill a few weeks back. I was massively surprised by just how competent it is for a standard road car, especially as I spent a lot of time on track in much more suitable equipment.

I definitely have not been looking at more serious suspension and brake setups...
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #41 of 85 Old 09-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Lydden is a great track. Used to frequent Lydden & Brands quite often a few years back.
(Post Link) post #42 of 85 Old 14-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Not done much, but replaced the 2 vacuum lines at front of car with Silicone 3mm hose. My god the old hoses were in bad nick. Still think there are some other hoses to replace, also going to get round to replacing the intake hose aswell with some silicone items. Not going to go mental, but just a tidy up and clean with some blue silicon
Also the PU bushes for rear hub to tie bar arrived so may try and get those down this weekend and fit BMC filter
(Post Link) post #43 of 85 Old 15-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Never did get the rear bushes done due to a horrible cold. However i did get the car out for a run and those new silicone vac hoses have really made a big difference. No more flat spots in rev range and car pulls much better.
(Post Link) post #44 of 85 Old 20-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Ok so i picked up some side skirts from Dan @ Penrith and a new wheel arch liner to replace the broken on eon the car.
Really should help smarten up the car once painted. Also done the passenger mirror aswell, but it will need painted same time.
I thought i had already raised order for AP suspension, but i obviously didn't complete. Therefore i need to progress this as it really needs sorting.
(Post Link) post #45 of 85 Old 07-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
So got a bit of work to do on the SW.
Unfortunately the car has developed a horrible vibration when pulling up the clutch. It doesn't alwasy do it. It is also very dependant on how quick you pull up the clutch. Sometimes the car tries to cut out and die but then manages to surge back into life.
To me, its almost as if the clutch is not engaging smoothly. It is not slipping at all no matter how hard i push it, even when towing a big 800kg trailer!
It may just well be the clutch. If it is, i not too bothered, it just means i got to take it off the road and fit a 6 speed at same time and new shifter unit.
Question... Is the clutch cylinder the same on the 2.4 & 1.9 Diesel models? If so, i may just try replacing it first, just in case i am not getting a smooth operation of slave cylinder.

Another thing i have noticed is that the coolant temp rises very quickly when you give the car a good thrashing. But as soon as you come off the throttle the temp drops quickly. Physically watch the temp needle rise and fall within seconds or so.
Any ideas? My thoughts are Rad could be gunking up, Waterpump could be on way out. I may try giving it a good flush and refill with coolant. It does seem to be filled with only water as there is no colour to the coolant at all!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
So got a bit of work to do on the SW.
Unfortunately the car has developed a horrible vibration when pulling up the clutch. It doesn't alwasy do it. It is also very dependant on how quick you pull up the clutch. Sometimes the car tries to cut out and die but then manages to surge back into life.
To me, its almost as if the clutch is not engaging smoothly. It is not slipping at all no matter how hard i push it, even when towing a big 800kg trailer!
It may just well be the clutch. If it is, i not too bothered, it just means i got to take it off the road and fit a 6 speed at same time and new shifter unit.
Question... Is the clutch cylinder the same on the 2.4 & 1.9 Diesel models? If so, i may just try replacing it first, just in case i am not getting a smooth operation of slave cylinder.

Another thing i have noticed is that the coolant temp rises very quickly when you give the car a good thrashing. But as soon as you come off the throttle the temp drops quickly. Physically watch the temp needle rise and fall within seconds or so.
Any ideas? My thoughts are Rad could be gunking up, Waterpump could be on way out. I may try giving it a good flush and refill with coolant. It does seem to be filled with only water as there is no colour to the coolant at all!
Does your top hose get hot? We did a clutch on one last week, after a 4 mile test drive it was just creeping over 90 on the gauge. Thermostat was only 3 months old. I pulled over, checked hot air was coming out of the vents, heater pipes were hot, but the top hose coming out of the thermostat was stone cold - so stuck shut. I popped the top hose off and nothing came out of the stat at all. Lucky save really, that would have done a head gasket if left unchecked.
will01 likes this.
(Post Link) post #47 of 85 Old 07-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Funny thing on the temp was i did some trials on the way home giving the car absolute death. I actually watched the temp gauge rise slowly when accelerating hard. But then as i was still accelerating the temp gauge knocked back down below 90 within a sec. Kept giving it the beans and the temp rose slowly again and then stepped back down. Temp gauge never goes beyond 95C even after giving it a really good thrashing.
I am wondering if there is just a weird voltage thing going on with gauge. Going to try same thing with OBD temp and see if it does the same. I am guessing not, but we will see. Just very strange.

As for clutch judder, i know this sounds weird..... but it has been perfect today, only vibrating a very little bit when doing hill start!!! Tempramental thing lol
(Post Link) post #48 of 85 Old 14-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Ok so clocked up another 1k miles over the weekend in the SW.
Good avg of 43mpg real figures not the optimistc car computer figures haha.

The clutch judder is annoying and is noticeable with fully laden car but otherwise for what we use car for e.g. long journeys it doesn't appear to be giving us a problem so we will put up with it. When it does need changing im afraid the car will get a 6 speed conversion and clutch kits etc.

Also fully laden we do find it is really easy to bottom out suspension. so again i am telling myself to order the parts you lazy git! haha

The other issue is when accelerating hard we are getting hesitation at 2000rpm and then it keeps going and then hesitation at 2250rpm and then keeps pulling strong.
Sometimes when doing this, especially if the car is well warmed up we get MCSF and it seems to cut the power and then if you ease off the throttle it clears you can boot it again and it keeps going.
I am still in process of repalcing vac hoses so i will see if that does cure it, but i am not getting stored codes!
Can get irritating when exiting motorway service stations etc

Will be getting the egr off and giving it a good clean out and also greasing the solenoid of variable turbo just in case something is sticking.
(Post Link) post #49 of 85 Old 16-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
On the look out for a 6 speed box so i can convert my 10v, if anyone hears of one going let me know.
Also on the off chance anyone knows of any Quaife or Q2's going cheap second hand, that may also make a cool upgrade.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

You could buy an ODB Bluetooth plug then you can see exactly what the engine is doing with Garmin mechanic etc.... on your phone.

I put 147 GTA front shocks, 40mm lower springs all round and poly bushed the roll bar. This worked really well. Although its lower the front end is firmer, so wallows a lot less and didn't ground as often. 17in Selespeed alloys worked really well with this combination, having the same tyres on all 4 corners is a must. I drove it from 60-140k and still wish I hadn't sold it.

The only down side is lowering the suspension seems to accelerate the lower wishbone failure (if that is actually possible?)
will01 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , jtd , project , rolling , sportwagon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page