156 2.4jtd cutting out unusual issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-16 Thread Starter

County: -
156 2.4jtd cutting out unusual issue

Hi,

I have an unusual problem with my AR 156 SW 2.4 JTD 110kW. I have searched the web and found no answer to my issue. Please read carefully before posting the usual suspects.

The issue is that the engine cuts out while driving. It has happened a few times now and each time I felt a barely noticable judder (or slight hesitation) and after that the engine cuts out. The judder is so faint you are not even sure it happened but while you are still thinking about what has happened the engine dies just like it would be turned off.

Each time the ECU reports a "Fuel pressure regulator fault" and the car fails to start. As I belived this to be the fault I changed the fuel pressure regulator (used item) and cleared the fault and the car started up and behaved perfectly for the next 50km before the same thing happened again. Same FPR fault reported. Thinking that the used FPR might be the issue I changed it over for a second used FPR and a fuel pressure sensor and the car started again and it ran for 200km before clonking out again with the same FPR fault.

After that I suspected the crank sensor so I changed it with a new Facet item and I installed a third used FPR but this time the car didn't fire up immediatly. It took some cranking and after starting it ran rough like only 3 cylinders were working but after a few seconds the 4th and 5th cylinders joined the party and after that the car ran 500km before it died again with the same fault reported by the ECU.

After that I have changed the FPR to the second unit that clonked out on me after 50km and the car is now running for the last 200km... so obviously the FPRs are ok.

So I have a FPR fault that kills the engine but it is not the FPR itself that is causing the issue. I have done the following:
-changed three FPRs
-a new fuel filter was installed
-2 fuel pressure sensors
-installed a new crank sensor
-checked phisically the overflow of the injectors and they are perfectly equal
-checked the high pressure fuel pump for leaks and havent found any
-the car starts easly on crkanking so I predict there are no air leaks in the system
-car performs normally
-the EGR is blocked
-the ECU is running a stock 110kW map
-I have checked the wiring and the wires itself seem to be in order
-All the connectors were cleaned and sprayed with a contact spray
-there is no moisture aroung the ECU
-the low pressure in tank pump is running OK (if I unplugg it the engine stops but there is no FPR fault reported)
-I tried unplugging the cam sensor but the engine keeps running and produces a cam&crank sensor missmatch fault
-looking at the engine performace with the MultiEcuScaner showed nothing unusual. The fuel pressure reaches 1500bar at high RPM and is steady at low RPM. No fault are reported except a failure on the preheating circuit (faulty plug).

I belive the previous owner had a similar problem before selling me the car but before I got it the car had always started up normally after cutting out. I got the car on a trailer as a non runner but after clearing the FPR fault it cranked into life and worked like a charm for about a year and a half before it started acting up. I found no connection between acceleration, idling... and cutting out. Each time it happened it was on part throttle.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I got the same symptoms and array of error codes when I ran my fuel tank dry... Lost fuel faster than the fuel sender could keep up with, so my dash was showing half a tank when it went out.

Engine made the slightest shudder as it stopped, and a load of fuel pressure faults..

Any chance you could be losing fuel supply to the engine bay?
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Could it also be a low pressure pump in the tank by that logic? Or any of the connections to it. It stops working, the high pressure pump stops getting fuel and throws a pressure error?

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 14-03-16 Thread Starter

I tried to uplug the low pressure pump and it stopped the engine but there was NO error recorded by the ECU. So I don't think this is the issue.

I had the car on the ramp and I would notice a fuel leak. Don't think this is it as the fuel consumtion has not changed...
AO Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

did you get this sorted as i have similar issue and its doing my head in.
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

No, he got another car

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , 24jtd , cutting , issue , unusual

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page