MTech Short Shifter Woes on GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Autolusso
  • 1 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 07-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

MTech Short Shifter Woes on GT

Hi All,

I recently had an MTech short shifter bracket fitted to my GT Clover 1.9 JTD and am now seriously thinking of having same removed due to really notchy and stiff gear changes, particularly in 2nd and worse when engine cold. I replaced gear box oil - no improvement.

This is a shame as I love the shorter throw, but don't feel that I can live with the heavy gear changing indefinitely. Loz at Autolusso mentioned that he had had the same problem with this on a similar car, so maybe this is the 'trade off' with this bracket?

It would be good to know if anyone else has experienced this issue or better still, identified a solution.

Cheers,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Gear change definitely gets notchier with the Mtech shifter, a fair few of us have noticed this when fitting. Which tbh you'd expect.. The Mtech shifter just makes the lever smaller, so you get more "texture" back through the shifter knob..

Syncros work better when the box is warmed up, so that could explain the evolution as the car warms up...

Does it free up when you're rolling? Mines a pig to find 1st when cold and not rolling, but once I'm going it's a lovely drive!
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 07-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Gear change definitely gets notchier with the Mtech shifter, a fair few of us have noticed this when fitting. Which tbh you'd expect.. The Mtech shifter just makes the lever smaller, so you get more "texture" back through the shifter knob..

Syncros work better when the box is warmed up, so that could explain the evolution as the car warms up...

Does it free up when you're rolling? Mines a pig to find 1st when cold and not rolling, but once I'm going it's a lovely drive!
Hi Ed,

Yep, I expected a notchier change, but am disappointed with the overall experience. Yes, it does free up when rolling and it's noticeably easier to change when engine at normal running temp.

I'll persevere for the time being - might get used to it!

Cheers,
Chris

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I have an Mtech on the GTA I have just bought. It sucks, for precisely the reasons you describe. I'm going to remove it as soon as I can find the bits I need to replace it.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
I have an Mtech on the GTA I have just bought. It sucks, for precisely the reasons you describe. I'm going to remove it as soon as I can find the bits I need to replace it.
Yer I drove a GTA the other day and I didn't like it, customer did though

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
The standard shift on the GTA is shorter than other 156's, and perfectly acceptable as is.

Mind you the change on the 100HP Panda is in a different league - shorter, snappier and just a hand's span from the wheel
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:

will take that off your hands at the right price..

assuming it fits the GT 1.9...?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
will take that off your hands at the right price..

assuming it fits the GT 1.9...?
Yes it will fit, they are basically the same gearbox

Ned

Last edited by Autolusso; 07-03-16 at 17:20. Reason: Spelling
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Yes it will fit, the are basically the same gearbox

Ned
Thanks Ned..
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Thanks Ned..
They not the

Ned
steelman likes this.
AO Member

County: -
After reading this glad I saved my money ill put up with it as is lol
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
What do I need to remove it? I'm thinking of a cunning swap here! I'm guessing that by fitting it, you throw away some arm - which I need!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
What do I need to remove it? I'm thinking of a cunning swap here! I'm guessing that by fitting it, you throw away some arm - which I need!

you are correct, but I have a feeling that..

1) you are not just down the road, and...

2) I do like the idea of being able to go back to stock in the event I don't like the short shifter...I still have my old turbo and unmodified airbox in the garage..bit of a hoarder..

I suggest you secure a part..( I am sure Ned will have one ) change it over send the short shifter to me and re-coup your money..
AO Member

County: Yorkshire
Quote:
Don't think any parts are needed, just remove shirt shifter and pop the gear cable socket back on the ball on the gearbox? (I think)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpbailey View Post
Don't think any parts are needed, just remove shirt shifter and pop the gear cable socket back on the ball on the gearbox? (I think)
The balance weight is removed to fit the short shifter, just bolts off though so easy to reverse if needed.

I have one fitted to my JTD and find it fine on there, but did try it on the GTA and found it a lot worse on there for notchiness so won't be fitting one on there, although that does have a shorter throw than the diesel did as standard anyway.

Don't know why that is, although I believe the cables are a different length on the two cars, although haven't compared them side by side to be certain.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Love it on mine, wouldn't swap it back although I have kept the original for if I sell it on.
AO Member

County: Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
The balance weight is removed to fit the short shifter, just bolts off though so easy to reverse if needed.

I have one fitted to my JTD and find it fine on there, but did try it on the GTA and found it a lot worse on there for notchiness so won't be fitting one on there, although that does have a shorter throw than the diesel did as standard anyway.

Don't know why that is, although I believe the cables are a different length on the two cars, although haven't compared them side by side to be certain.
Ahh yes I remember now, parts are needed!
Felt fine on my GTA, slightly notchy but the shorter throw makes up for that.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The GTA shift is already shorter because they use a different gear stick inside the car. I have only driven the GTA with the Mtech short shifter and I also didn't like it but GTs (including the 3.2) & standard 156s do have a longer throw than 156 GTAs so this may be a mod which is suitable for everything but the GTAs.
edraven71 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The GTA shift is already shorter because they use a different gear stick inside the car. I have only driven the GTA with the Mtech short shifter and I also didn't like it but GTs (including the 3.2) & standard 156s do have a longer throw than 156 GTAs so this may be a mod which is suitable for everything but the GTAs.
That could explain it then.

So would a Gta stick fit a JTD then?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
That could explain it then.

So would a Gta stick fit a JTD then?
Yes I fitted a GTA gearstick into my 156 2.4 JTD 10v, shortened the throw nicely but not drastically. I did it at the same time as fitting the 6-speed box so already had the subframe off and tunnel dropped.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Interesting guys. Personally i think a lot of gearbox's feel way different. My last GT's gearbox was S'hit. My cloverleafs is so much better. And it works well with the M'tech short shifter. If i had fitted the M'tech to my old GT, it would have been unbearable.
Not a fan in general of Alfa gearbox's to be honest, they feel notchy and average at the best of times. Best shift i ever had was in my Renault R5 turbo back in my teens, was like slicing through hot butter and precise, bloody gorgeous. Then my Audi urs6 which again had a wonderful shift action.
Gearbox action is so important in the enjoyment and drive of a car. Sounds like the GTA shift is a great upgrade for the 6 speed jtd cars. Personally i could never go back to the ridiculous comical long throw of the std car. It actually hindered fast forward progress.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

I fitted the M-TECH shifter to my Cloverleaf and have had no problems. I would not go back to the standard set up.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Are these easy to fit myself?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Yes very easy.

Remove the battery and you'll have loads of easy access.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
mtech , shifter , short , woes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page