ABS/ESR Fault - Cable hanging from Car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-16 Thread Starter
County: Scotland

Member car:

Alfa 147

ABS/ESR Fault - Cable hanging from Car

About 2 months ago I has the ABS/ESR fault happening every time I got in the car this would normally come on within the first 10 minutes of driving. That lasted for about 5 or 6 weeks, then everything seemed fine and no fault came up for about two weeks until 3 days ago where it comes on straight away every time I start the engine.

Driving back from work the other day my mum just happened to be behind me and noticed a cable dangling down underneath the car, on closer inspection it seems to run straight through centre, from front left to back right and there is a designed recess for the wire to follow but a bracket appears to have been damaged which is why it's now hanging.

My work is up a cobbled road with killer speed bumps so could the cause be a loose fuse which has been "shoogled" out of place by driving along cobbles everyday, twice a day or is this cable something to do with the ABS system and more likely to be the cause? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
loose cable is not a good idea, whether it's the cause of your ABS problems or not....
Loose cable puts stress on the connections, sure to cause problems....
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Drooping cable is almost certainly the handbrake cable.

Get the fault codes read for the ABS to know what's causing it ... probably one of the front wheel sensors.
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Unlikely to be the cause of the ABS fault but definitely get that cable put back correctly!

It sounds to me like your ABS issue is likely a faulty ABS ECU. I had very similar symptoms on my GTV twinny and the only remedy was to replace the ABS ECU with a second hand unit (you can have them refurbished as well).

However the first thing you should do is hook it up to the diagnostics and see what fault codes it throws up. Mine through up 3 different solenoid faults and was inconsistent with its results (ie. changing its mind on which solenoids were faulty) and all the ABS sensors were fine after checking with a multimeter. Thankfully the replacement ABS ECU did the trick and rectified the issue and its an incredibly simple (though tedious!) swap and doesn't require removing the pump thankfully. BUT! Check your faults first. With any luck yours might just be a wheel speed sensor though reading your OP does make me inclined to point at the ABS ECU rather than sensor due to my own very similar symptoms.

Best of luck sorting the faults!

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs or esr , cable , car , fault , hanging