156 2.5v6 petrol smell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-02-16 Thread Starter
County: -
156 2.5v6 petrol smell

hi guys...new here in this forum from malaysia.need some advise about my 156.recently having strong petrol smell from the rear right hand site from the back of the car.smell comes only after i have used the car and not when its cold.no smell at all inside the car and the boot.checked under the car but cant seem to find any traces of petrol only strong petrol fumes.wonder wats the problem....cant be the fuel pump coz the smell is only outside the car.any ideas guys?would appreciate it a lot.thanx guys
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cardiff
I had exactly that problem a couple of months ago. Despite much crawling over and under the car I could find no evidence of a leak and no strong smell inside the car.
I finally gave up and took the car to my local garage and they found that it was the fuel pump. The moulded plastic output pipe in the top of the pump was cracked and when the car was running the well on the top of the pump would fill with petrol. If the car was left for any length of time this petrol evaporated and the smell disappeared. It did not drip down the tank so was not visible from underneath.
So it's probably worth you stripping the boot floor and eyeballing the fuel pump, if only to eliminate this possibility.
Best of luck!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 26-02-16 Thread Starter
thanx bro Diavolo...u didnt get any smell at all inside the car like me?u change the whole pump or sealed the leak.i will check my pump anyway.
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
Get in the back seat of the car and put your nose close to the seat cushion in the middle and smell there. If you can smell petrol there, it's likely the fuel pump leaking.

If you can't smell any petrol inside the car at all, it's a bit strange.

May as well still check the fuel pump. Remove the back seats (four bolts - easy!) and the boot floor (also easy) and then the metal cover in the middle over the fuel pump.

It could possibly be some leak along the fuel line underneath the car too. If you can, get the car over an inspection pit and start it so the fuel pump works and then look for leaks. If the leak is small enough, you wouldn't necessarily see petrol dripping, as it could evaporate before dripping.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-16 Thread Starter
Hi guys....checked and it was indeed the fuel pump problem.it was leaking on the top plastic cover.had it sealed with epoxy and the leak was gone.thanx guys for the ideas.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , petrol , smell