TS Timing Tools - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
TS Timing Tools

I'm planning on replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 1.6TS (120HP). I have the belt kit and pump (from Shop4parts), and am intending to buy the full kit of tools from totallyalfa.com. Unfortunately, Gary who runs the site is away on personal business and there is no sign of him reopening the shop.

I can find most of the tools on Ebay from various sources, but am less inclined to trust these than Gary's. There are cam lock/tensioner tool sets, dial gauges and adaptors and generic sprocket tools that should fit the exhaust cam sprocket. One tool I can't find is the inlet cam sprocket wrench.

The belt itself has just gone over 36,000 miles and five years age, so is due, but not seriously overdue. Since I got the exhaust manifold welded up last week, I notice that there is a bit of noise coming from the belt side of the engine, which is making me a bit nervous. It could have been noisy for months and disguised by the din from the exhaust, or it may be perfectly normal. Since my 156 died of belt disease last year, I'm a little paranoid about these things.

So, my questions are:
  1. Are the cam lock and tensioner tool sets on Ebay worth buying?
  2. Where might I find the inlet cam sprocket tool?
  3. Does anyone know whether Gary will be reopening the shop soon?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Stockholm
EB Spares sell the cam locks and DTI gauge kit for the 1.6 if you would prefer to go from a reputable parts supplier. Regarding the tensioner tools I would recommend them having used the Totally Alfa kit when I did the timing belt on my 2.0 TS GTV last year and they definitely seemed to make the job easier. Shame that Gary is away as his tools are excellent and definitely come in handy.

If you can find some tools on Ebay they are probably worth a punt if the price is right but hopefully a member on here might be willing to lend/sell you some of their Totally Alfa tools to help you get the job done.

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
If you haven't done this before be very careful not to break the cam position sensor.

I learnt the hard way how easy it is to break these when setting the cam position. bugger, bugger, bugger!

After admitting it on here there were quite a few other members who were sympathetic because they had done the same thing.

The other lesson I leant is to lubricate the water pump "O" ring with silicone grease. If it is dry it is easy to trap and damage it when pushing the housing into the engine block. Another lesson learnt the hard way!!

Also the 1.6 does have a crank TDC mark. On my son's car I used the DTI to discover that the crank position mark was spot on.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Gary is awful at corredspondenc but 100% -trustworthy and he will send the tools within a couple-a-weeks. I wouldnt bother with inlet cam tool but do get the exhaust cam tool as mentioned above, without it you will most likely destroy cam sensor and rotate cam on tightening nut to 100+ Nm.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
You want some longer M7 bolts too .. the standard ones are just a shade too short and can strip the top of the threads as the cam locks are thicker. Gary's are a bit expensive if buying alone, so I got some from the bay of fleas ..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

timing , tools