Klarius replacement cat thoughts? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By AussieAlex
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Klarius replacement cat thoughts?

Hey guys,

My CF3 156 2.0 TS Sportwagon has a crack between the cats and the flexi pipe right before the flexi pipe starts. I have started to look at a replacement just in case it can't be repaired effectively and have come across a Klarius OE spec unit on Ebay;

I have checked my VIN on EPER and the part number quoted on that item is the same as EPER gave me so I am assuming it should fit no problem (Part # 46809274).

But my main question is regarding the quality of Klarius units? Anyone have any experiences good or bad with them? The car is due for MOT next month and its only a stop-gap until I can afford to upgrade to a V6 GT or 156/147 GTA so I am not necessairily looking for something that is going to last 10 years. But obviously it would be good to know that the unit is at least of some reasonable quality so that it will last for another 12-18 months before I sell the car.

Hopefully it can just be welded up but thought I would start researching into the unit just in case it can't. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Don't know about the cats but I binned a tail section after 7 months when the support bars tore out of the outer skin where they hadn't been properly welded. Refused to refund or exchange saying wrongly installed or damaged during fitting.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

I work as a mechanic and we get supplied with Klarius cats and exhausts as standard from our main parts supplier and to be honest the workmanship is pretty poor with badly aligned flanges and occasional gaps in the welds. Others may have different experiences of them but I've known klarius cats which have been fitted due to a car failing it's emissions to go on and fail the emissions test again 1-2 years later. In saying that the ones we get may not be 'OE' quality.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Repair your damaged ones, or find a good used condition pair from a breaker. The pattern ones are worse than awful, they don't even fit nicely and the flexis last 5 minutes.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Thanks for the feedback guys.

It should be repairable thankfully. Just need to find the time to head down to my local exhaust shop and get it looked at. But at least I know that if I need a replacement I should avoid these!
Happax likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cat , klarius , replacement , thoughts