156 JTS, ABS/VDC, won't start, can't read codes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

156 JTS, ABS/VDC, won't start, can't read codes

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have been massively excited about my new 156 until earlier today; I may have broken it. I'd be hugely grateful for some guidance on how I can fix it.

Drove it last on Thursday, no problems at all.

Went out to test fit a new baby seat today so moved the passenger seat about then finished up and locked the car up. Went back out later today as I wanted to check the low and high speed fan circuits were working. My understanding was that the ECU grounds pin 86 of the relays in the engine bay. So:
  • Pulled the big black 50A FAN relay on the far left of the box out, got a piece of wire, tucked it in the pin86 connector on the relay socket and refitted the relay.
  • Touched the other end of the wire on Batt earth, nothing happened. Ignition was off at the time I think.
  • Switched the ignition on, and heard the 2 beeps, 1 for ABS and one for VDC warnings on the info screen.
  • Tried turning engine over, turned ok, didn't fire.
  • Disconnected Batt earth for 50 mins, reconnected, same warnings.
  • Tried connecting my Maxiscan bluetooth EOBD adaptor that I've used on this car before fine, says it can't connect to the ECU so I can't read any codes.
  • Checked fuel cutoff under passenger seat, pressed it but no difference.
  • Swapped relays around in the engine bay to rule out a dodgy relay, no difference.
  • Checked the engine earth on the gearbox, seemed fine, not sure if there's any more.
  • Measured battery voltage after only a few attempts at starting, 12.2V.
  • If I turn the key to MAR, the fuel pump doesn't prime.
  • I think the only warning light on the dash is the triangle shaped one, presumably for the ABS fault.

Any suggestions? I've heard a weak battery can produce faults but surely it wouldn't stop me from being able to read the ECU via the OBD adaptor? Surely I can't have fried the ECU in anyway. The 30A ECU fuse on the battery is fine and the pair of big fuses have continuity.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 22-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

An update to the below if its of any use to anyone doing a search - I found that the 7.5 amp fuse in one of the supplementary fuse boxes under the steering wheel had blown. Changed this, charged the battery, she fired up straightaway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160215_174906.jpg (130.5 KB, 17 views)
County: Greater London
This was almost exactly the same problem I had.

Would still be scratching around wondering why various OBD cables and the like wouldn't connect up!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , abs or vdc , codes , jts , read , start