Rear radius arm replacement, Help needed really fedup with this. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By FAssarsson
  • 1 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By Egon

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 12-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Rear radius arm replacement, Help needed really fedup with this.

Hi can anybody tell me how to get the rear radius wheel end bolt out its turning and the nut is off it, I have to replace the the arm as its bent,the bolt is wound out about 1" and can see the whole thread from under the car,so I think it's ready to be pulled out but it will not budge any further I have tried just about everything including heat,even tried drifting it out, and joint splitter against the head of the bolt but still no go, can turn it but with a lot of effort so don't really know what to try next, to the point of giving up, what a pain in the...... Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Which bolt? 3 or 10?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearTransverse.jpg (82.5 KB, 36 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 12-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Hi thanks for getting back to me its No 10, not started on the other end yet.

Thanks
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 12-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Upon looking at the diagram again I think it's still No10 but just to clarify its the one that goes through the item labeled No 7. Thanks again
AO Gold Member

Garage
So is the other end of the transverse arms (7 & 9) loose? You've got the long bolt out of the strut?

This isn't going to help much as I seem to remember I kept turning mine and it came out. Have you soaked in it proper penetrating fluid?? I take it you don't have enough room yet to push arm 9 off the end (the petrol tank got in my way for one arm).

PS Try not to move no 3!! That sets the alignment.

The only other way might be dropping the complete subframe .. 1!
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Mine had to be cut and new ones are surprisingly expensive. Needed to get new arms as well. However, if you have the time and you have managed to loosen them a bit I'd persevere and try to save as many parts as you can. Check your shock absorbers haven't rusted as this was the origin of all my difficulties. Put new ones on while the cars in bits.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The fact that the arm is bent may mean the bolt is bent too, which isn't good as they can be a right PITA to remove. The issue is that the shank of the bolts corrodes were it fits between the two bits of the strut.

To remove it takes persistence. We use an impact un on the head and turn the bolt whilst smacking it through from the other side.
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
if its the long bolt that runs through the arms and base of the shock then it corrodes in the base of the shock and it takes a good bit of turning and hitting to loosen it to get it out! Eventually got mine out when replacing the shocks and used plenty of grease on the shanks when putting them back in!!
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Yes, this bolt is a swine, and needs extreme violence to remove. Usually the bolt dies in the process. Hammer on the threaded end while turning the other end (in a pair of grips if the nut is gone). Grease the new bolt, and it will come out like a lamb next time.
Adept likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage
You've all lost sight that it's the short bolt through the alloy subframe not the very long bolt through the strut ...

Lots if penetrating fluid and working the bolt backwards and forwards is the only way I found ... Don't try hammering it out .. That will just pean over the end.
Adept likes this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Hammer it out from the other side. Hammer until you start getting numb, then turn the bolt half a turn, continue hammering until sun down, turn screw continue hammering and then it'll eventually budge. Ask how I now...

That is if it's the bolt at the damper/spring side of the radius arm. Make sure you scrape the rust and dirt off the middle of the bolt between the fork arm where you can.
Adept likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Read the previous posts properly ... Then suggest ... Ffs IT IS NOT THE LONG BOLT THAT IS THE OP'S PROBLEM!
Adept likes this.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Is it? In the picture it is the bolt that goes through #7. The position of 7 suggests that it is going through outer set of holes (inc the shock), not sure.

Never had a problem with the inner bolt, they've always come undone easily, the eccentric washer has often been corroded in place, but that is it.
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Yes, this bolt is a swine, and needs extreme violence to remove. Usually the bolt dies in the process. Hammer on the threaded end while turning the other end (in a pair of grips if the nut is gone). Grease the new bolt, and it will come out like a lamb next time.
Hi all that have replied to me many thanks for all your input, it is the long bolt that goes through the bottom of the strut, sorry about any confusion about which bolt, by the sound of it its going to be a right b........d and will be a long job I will keep at it when the rain stops! And will post on here if I discover the hidden method of getting this sorted in timely way he ......he don't think so, found muscles I did not know I had!

Cheers all.
Great guys on here.
AO Silver Member

County: -
It's always going to be a struggle to get the bolt through the hole in the rear stub axle casting when the bolt's corroded due to the fact it's a tight fit when new, it'll jam easily as the expanded corrosion wedges it in place. Isn't it possible to try and remove as much of the corrosion as possible before knocking the bolt through ? Filing, scraping chipping etc. Looks a bit tight for easy access but with any significant corrosion it's going to jam badly.
AO Silver Member

I think a new bolt is 36 from Alfa workshop. However, the old one will still need to be freed from the arms. Think the arms are about 30 each if you feel like giving up and getting medieval on it.
AO Member

I have just finished changing all 4 arms on my gt. I can confirm that the long bolt on near the strut is evil. It does not want to be evicted from its snug housing.
I sprayed plus gas at the exposed areas and got the nut off fairly quickly. The bolt wouldn't even rotate. Breaker bar, turning in either direction until it started to get a bit looser. More plus gas. Hammer. More turning. Then a cordless impact driver. It eventually came out. But the spacer was stuck to it. And I didn't have a new one, only the bolt, washers and nuts. More hammer and impact driver violence. Resorted to laying the arm over a drain cover and hammering like mad till it budged.
The other side was worse. The bolt seemed to have grown to the strut bottom. Same approach.

All done now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160817_152709_1471452007916.jpg (83.6 KB, 11 views)
AO Silver Member

Well done have beer you've earned it.
AO Member

Beers in the fridge.
Ps, i changed my radius arms because all four were bent and twisted. You can see from the picture. I imagine the tracking will need doing now anyway. Whatever it was tracked to before won't be the same now.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
What's needed is a damned good dose of grease and a witch hunt to find the Italian wombat who decided that a big gap open to the elements was a good idea....
I've thought about making a stainless sleeve with a grease nipple in it... ( done my upper front wishybones with grease nipples)
Hmm.
Cuore Sportivo likes this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buska_1976 View Post
Beers in the fridge.
Ps, i changed my radius arms because all four were bent and twisted. You can see from the picture. I imagine the tracking will need doing now anyway. Whatever it was tracked to before won't be the same now.
Lucky you with Beers in the Fridge, seems like the OP never got the bolt out and may be still trying as he was going back out after the rain stopped, that was only on Saturday wasn't it?
AO Member

I think it was February?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
arm , fedup , needed , radius , rear , replacement