2L TS running problems....help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
2L TS running problems....help

I know mine's a 166, but thought I'd copy the post into here as it's engine not car related...hoping for help from anywhere!!

posted a few related threads on this forum, basically I have a 2000 166 Lusso twinnie, that runs like a dog...well perhaps that's a bit harsh, but I'm starting to get really hacked off with it. It has what I can only describe as a vibration through the rev range, and it sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust (there isn't and I have had a new manifold as this was what the local Alfa independent thought it was -on removal it was slightly cracked around the weld, but wasn't the problem!). Sounds louder/worse under heavy acceleration, or especially when having to work harder, ie hill climb etc. The vibration has been getting worse, so I had an examiner run, which showed up nothing. The garage guy said it might be the cam belt/tensioners or balance belt/shaft, but I don't see how that would make it sound as if there was a hole in the exhaust. Another independent that I tried for a second opinion said that it might be a faulty butterfly in the inlet manifold (???), but again to me these seem like stabs in the dark. I've already spent 350 having it NOT diagnosed, so am reluctant to keep chucking money at it. Anyone got any suggestions as to either what it might be or how I can find out what it is. Could it be plugs, coil packs, the inlet manifold, lamda sensor etc???/. I would have thought that if it was any of these it would have shown up on Examiner...or maybe not? HELP PLEASE....apart from the noise and vibration it runs and accelerates fine and MPG is about right at 26-31 dependent on how hard I drive. I have repaired the large split in the air-box flex coupling and checked over everything else I can. It's a shame because the rest of the car is in exceptional condition
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Re: 2L TS running problems....help

Is it actually missfiring? I know it's probably a stupid question.

Is the power cutting out in the rev range?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

no, not actually misfiring...more of a sounds/feels rough sort of thing. Revs through range with vibration tailing off at higher revs. Mostly it's the loud raspy exhaust noise that makes it seem worse. I'm at a loss and very tempted to get shot of it
AO Member

From your description it's really hard to tell, but you say that it is worse in acceleration. I would try to check the firing one way or the other. Defect spark plugs, water in the plug holes, coils - check!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problemshelp , running