snapped timing belt 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
County: -
snapped timing belt 147

My timing belt snapped at 82k miles on my 03 plate 147 1.6. The RAC man says that even if I bought the cam and crank locking tools and replaced the head, the engine probably still wont start. Has anyone had any experience of this? Was only travelling at about 12mph coming off a roundabout into works car park. Am unsure if its just uneconomical to fix or whether I should give it a go. Thoughts please.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Did he give a reason? I can't see why it wouldn't start. It'd be advisable for you to also replace the bottom end bearings as these tend to get flat-spotted by the impact and usually rattle out a few thousand miles afterwards if not replaced. But regardless of that, it should still start if you put a new cylinder head & cambelt kit on it and it was all correctly timed up.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It's a shame the quality of advice given by these breakdown companies isn't better ... you wonder where they were trained .. Kwikfit?

If the valves have just been bent, there is no reason why the car won't run again. Like Pud237 says, you really should replace the big-end shells after a belt failure (go the T-shirt .. retro one from 2002!).

Quickest way would be to put a 2nd hand head on it ... but you will need a new head gasket, you might as well put a new water pump on (82K isn't excessive for a TS but you have to do the cambelt again if it does leak), and new cam belt and tensioners. When you get the head off carefully check the head bolts as they can stretch. If you car has never had the head off, they should be OK to re-use.

So it's not a simple job, but satisfying when you turn the key and it starts again!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , belt , snapped , timing