When should variator be changed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6TS

When should variator be changed?

I've booked in for the cambelt change at Jamie's workshop (having gathered all good things about him from this forum!). My question is should I need replacing the variator too? I don't seem to hear any diesel type of noise from my petrol 147 1.6 and the fact that it's only done 27K miles - I only change the belt because it's a 2002 car so it's about time. Would it be worth replacing variator whilst cambelt is out or probably not at all with such mileage (and low annual usage too) and what would be catastrophic if that fails?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: When should variator be changed?

Belt is well overdue .. should be every THREE years or 36000 miles now.

Variators don't usually fail they just start to wear and give you that diesel sound on starting ... keep the engine oil topped up and change it regularly even if you only do low miles per annum and it will probably be ok.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I would change the variator every time it has a belt change (Every 36,000 miles) Its only £80 for the part, and if it fails just after a belt change you will be stuck with it until next time.

Variators also seem to fail for very little reason. I am sure oil changes and oil levels may have an effect but I have had variators fail on well serviced cars.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

the variator is basically a solenoid, nothing special or fancy, how you drive or service your car will have no impact on it. you never know if/when it is going to fail, but replacing it means you need to take the belts off so it is wise to replace it when you replace the belt. saying that, at 27k on a 5 year old car you should not expect it to fail for a very long time, i wouldnt change it. its definately wise to replace it at the 70k second belt change imo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

changed , variator