Turbo conversion setups 156/147 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
just to add you can fit a dump valve not (recycling) if you use a blow through maf set up so maf is close as possible to throttle body.

works fine on my v6 but not sure about TS but cant see why not, you get more accurate temp reading as well from blow through.

But as for starting the project im sure i saw a long thread where someone blogged everything , but in the end just get the basics and if you handy with the spanners etc its far more satisfying making your own parts and adjusting it all so you feel good about it all instead of just a complete copy ( besides the techy stuff thats tested and proven best)

There is alot of nice knowledgeable guys on here im sure you will find you way

All spares parts for 156 and 147 being sold that i will not be using (cheap) nothing too small ask what you want , willing to post world wide Phone 07922123242 Ask for Neil and say Mark said to phone .

Download link for Alfa 156's http://www.filedropper.com/alfaelearn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjet View Post
My only recommendation for anybody thinking about doing a project like this is to have a ecu solution ready, it is the biggest problem you will have by far.
Great news and I have a question about the ecu solution, would the 1.6 set-up work for the 2.0TS ?
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Hi, I doubt the file I have will work, it will more likely brick a 2.0 ECU. But I'm not an expert. Also bear in mind I built the setup similar to the tested version (branch manifold and ball bearing turbo, same injectors) I know from experience even turbos with similar specs are totally different when you get them on the car.
I spent many days researching other alternatives and got nowhere. My conclusion to do this the 'right way' is to dump the current ecu and install a AEM or Haltech the new ones with DBW and Wideband open and closed loop tuning. This will make a truly awesome turbo build, with smooth transitions from vacuum to boost with rock solid AFRs exactly what you want, also the ability to run a nice lean area in cruise conditions for great fuel economy something the TS can easily achieve, I believe twin sparks can run upward of 16:1.
BUT the downside is you will spend most of your time interfacing/tricking the Bosch 7.3.1 to run all the other systems and other computers. A big big headache. Reading up on the Bosch ecu it appears to be very advanced, the same model is used run Porsche and Ferrari around that era, so Alfa went for it in that respect. At some point I may take the plunge and go for this solution

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
If you search the threads there are a few where people have successfully low pressure turbo'd this engine using 1.9 exhaust manifold and using existing MAF, throttle body and ecu.
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

have thought about doing a turbo retro fit to a 1.8ts, but the cost of a decent ecu is what scares me. What setup are other people using, i was thinking of using a fiat turbo from a ulysse 2.0 JTD/lancia zeta. any thoughts?
and would most internals need to be upgraded: rods, pistons, etc..
Wanting for a sleeper, and also don't want to overstretch the 250bhp limit for front wheel drive cars. Happily be shouted down, all a learning curve..
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
If you currently have a diesel, then the swap would be less problematic. Engine swapping is not as easy as it sounds. It requires stuff like side shaft mods, ECU mods, etc, etc
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Sorry, maybe i put it badly. I was just spit-balling idea of using a refurbed xud11te turbo from fiat ulysee 2.1 TD on an Alfa 1.8 TS CF2 engine. Know that people have used the xud9te (1.9l version) on Type 2 VW Camper engines, and T1 Beetles. As a side note: I will never ever for the rest of my life buy a DIEsel chain smoker, prefer to buy a twin stroke lawnmower for a daily commute!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I read badly

The flow characteristics are vastly different between a diesel turbo and a petrol turbo.
Diesels only rev up to 4000rpm, petrol to 7000RPM so the rev range to work with is much bigger

2.0L Diesel turbos tend to be in the GT20 / GT22 size area and 2.0L petrol turbos tend to be in the GT25 / GT28 size area.

Not saying it can't work, but you'll have to check the turbine and compressor sizing relative to the rev range you want to make power in.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Okay, looked into it a bit more. Turbo not suitable, but saw a genuine remanufactured one for 80 quid, if anyone's interested.

Sent from My Xperia Z3+ via TapTalk
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Sod it, going to make jts a stage 1, and try and find a quality cam setup that will not kill the wallet, maybe reprinting is an option. Going NA route...

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Has anyone turbo and super charged a 1.8 ts. Lancia S4 group b stylie? :-? I love a big project...

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkomnino View Post
Has anyone turbo and super charged a 1.8 ts. Lancia S4 group b stylie? :-? I love a big project...
That is a huge undertaking - space is your biggest problem
http://www.ecv1.com/images/presentazione-2.jpg

What would the benefit be to warrant the effort? There are easier ways to minimize lag...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
conversion , setups , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page