156 not starting..!!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.9 JTD

Hmmm 156 not starting..!!!!!!

Hi, i have a 156 sportwagon 1.9 jtd mjet (04) with 100k on clock. Had it now for 4 months and everything was fine. Now it wont start...!!!

Kick it over and starting motor turns engine and engine starts to fire but doesn't. Takes me about 15 turns to manage to get going. ( NOW NOT AT ALL ).!!!

I was thinking it could be the coil ( no light comes on ) / fuel starve or even damp plugs.

Once she's running she's fine, idles great and no loss of power.

Any thoughts..??

p.s. Just had Green flag out to get it started..!! No use.!! They were just as confused.!!

Checked plugs, checked injection, coils seems to be working.!! I'm not use to working on engines especially diesels. Anything i'm missing..??

Any help would be appriciated.

Last edited by Gaz74; 04-11-07 at 18:41. Reason: No further forward
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0TS

Re: 156 not starting..!!!!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's a diesel it won't have an ignition circuit (coil, plugs etc.). At least my Citroen C5 HDi doesn't.

It sounds more like crank shaft sensor so have a search on this forum for crank sensor.

The sensor sends info about the position of the crank shaft to the ECU, and the ECU computes the correct moment to inject fuel (and sparks in a petrol engine) - so if it isn't working (or has become disconnected?) it won't start.

Also my 156 TS has a fuel cut off under the passenger seat. If your diesel version has that it's worth checking to see if it has been knocked off maybe.

Don't worry, I'm sure a real expert will be along in a minute -I'm much more used to fixing Citroens and rebuilding old MGs!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , starting