How to remove scratched rubber coating. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 2 Post By 156Harry
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 23-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
How to remove scratched rubber coating.

Thought I'd share this with people seeing that its a common problem and looks terrible.
The interior handles on my 156 were looking worse for wear even though my car is very low milage. The rubber coating was all scratched and like a tary mess.
Its very easy to clean off though.
I went into the chemist and bought a large tub of large alcohol wipes, 70% ethenol I think.
After that its all elbow grease and lots of wipes.
I took the handles out and took the window switches out to make it easier to clean.
When I eventually got all the rubber off I gave them a coat of black bumper restore wax and buffed it off with a microfiber towel.
Takes a bit of effort but they came out perfect and only cost me ?11.
Hope this helps people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160122_165418_1453566495781.jpg (26.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20160122_223813_1453566618975.jpg (27.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_104927_1453566710034.jpg (41.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_163903_1453567184996.jpg (33.7 KB, 34 views)
TOX1C and petep312 like this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -norfolk
excellent solution . i had a similar issue with a saab 9-3 , as i was only on a small part i just peeled the coating off .
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I always use brake cleaner and a cloth, works a treat.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

Perfect. Will try this at the weekend
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

my window switch is a disgrace, its horrid stuff, isnt it?
AO Member
County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

After a lot of experiments on the issue, I think I've found what I can call a "best solution". I came across it by chance, experimenting on different chemicals that would remove that awful sticky material without harming the colour of the plastic. Well, the best results came from the oven cleaning spray called "FORNET" in Greece (I think it's a JOHNSON'S product), but I guess that every other oven cleaning foam would do the job. The instructions say that you must use it in a hot oven, and that indeed stands for AR's "dirty plastics". I heated them with a hair dryer until I could barely touch them and then gave them a generous foam spray. I let the foam for about 15 minutes (a 2 cigarrettes wait for those who smoke), and then starting rubbing them thoroughly. Don't use any kind of cloth. I use common furniture foam 1mm thick (it is sold in 1meterx1meter sheets with a cost of 5 euros a sheet in my country. Of course you will need three or four spray coatings for every part, and accordingly a lot of foam to remove it completely.
Bear in mind that the worse condition the plastic is, the easier it is to remove the sticky material. If it has just began to "stick" leave it until it becomes worse.
In one case, after trying to remove that residue from the central heating vent (on top of 147's fascia) which had just begun to "stick", and after alot of foam coatings and rubbing, there was a small decolouration in one part. Well the two picures attached is the remedy. The first (ending in 28) is a DUPLICOLOR's "spritz spachtel" (in German), an acrylic coating which you can spray after treating the part with a smooth sandpaper (600 first and the 1000). The other is a DUPLICOLOR's "structural effect" spray (black or clear) which you can spray on top of the first (after having completely dried). It is a spray which gives a "grainy "look on the plastic like the original. If you spray it from a distance of 30-40cm the effect is smoother, but from 50-70cm the grains are rougher. You have to experiment. I insist on DUPLICOLOR sprays. After using them for many years I can tell you that they are the best and especially for in-car applications. I've painted things in various cars 10 or 13 years ago with no damage at all . You send me an e-mail for every advice especially in any 147, 156 interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_20151812081838.jpg (154.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_20151912081917.jpg (164.5 KB, 3 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

coating , remove , rubber , scratched