Peculiar smoking JTD - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Re: Peculiar smoking JTD

I'd consider taking the remap down a level. It will contribute to the smoke. I would also go over all the pipes..
Sponsored Links
AO Member

i would take of the remap my 156jtd 10v smoked alot and that had been chipped, ive now got a 20v and i will not be mapping this one , its quick enough if you want loads of power then just get a petrol its not worth the messing around , you just spend time and money putting it right when it goes wrong ,car companies spend millions of pounds on development, and we think we can do better with a 350 chip
AO Member

I'd look at removing the remap and restoring it to stock before trying anything else.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

If the remap caused the smoke it'd cause it from day one. I cleaned my inlet manifold the other day, I was suprised at how gunked up it was. Full of a nasty soot/ oil mixture that I couldn't get out from under my fingernails for love nor money
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Originally Posted by mptruem View Post
Ditto you are going through a 30 zone in 3rd and you put your foot down a little - dick dastardly.

On the motorway in 5th at circa 60 to 70 mph if you put your foot down then again dick dastardly amounts of smoke.

The engine was noted as being smoky when Nigel came to do the remap and it was the same with the original alfa map as the remap.
So it smokes like a pig at 2000rpm then?

Probably said this before - Boost pipes.

You seem to have spent money on this, and two weeks or more being messed about?

Why not remove all the boost pipes and check these off the car, also check the intercooler is not leaking? (often small splits are not visable on the car, especially when there gunked up with oil and crud).

A boost gauge would also help diagnosis as you would see what the boost levels are and may at least prove a leak somewhere.

If it smoked before it was mapped - you have a problem.
(Post Link) post #31 of 33 Old 04-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi all,
Thanks for the responses, I may (after new year) take it into the workshop that angel tuning use as it is near me and get them to try and work it out.

It was smoking when Nigel came to do the remap (it already had another map on it) and still smoked when he put the stock alfa map on it, although it is hard to see how smoky it is on the drive by revving the engine as it is most noticeable under load.

A removal of the map may be the answer, but I want to rule out other things before hand so I haven't wasted several hundred quid on that (yes I know I may be wasting money elsewhere).

I will though have to spend some time under the bonnet and look at all the pipes (intercooler to manifold is definately OK as it is new).
I am not sure how you check the intercooler easily without being able to pressure test it.

I will double check the pre-intercooler pipe as it is a bit oily but have been told that is due to the construction of the pipe used.

As for a boost gauge: how, what, where, apart from having seen them glued to the dashboard of Jap imports, I wouldn't know what to do with one.
Awaiting Email Conf
County: Lake District

Try some millers power sport 4 in the fuel. And always use decent diesel. Mine smoked like a chimney on supermarket fuel and I used to get the dreaded motor control failiure regularly but since I switched to running it on Shell with a dash of Millers she's been smoke free and free of MCF.
(Post Link) post #33 of 33 Old 04-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

It has been run on Shell since I got it and has had a few batches of Forte through it.
I am going to be taking the map off the ECU sometime this week or next and if the smoking doesn't clear up after that then maybe some millers will get a try.

I also still need to have a close inspection of the Turbo to INtercooler pipe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , peculiar , smoking