MAF Performance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-10-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

MAF Performance

Do you get a perfomance MAF or if you put a different one on that it came with would it make a difference or should I stick with the the factory fitted one.I drive a 156 2L t.spark 2001 and need to replace mine.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: MAF Performance

Get a genuine one, if you find one on eBay for less than £50 don't buy it as they only last a few weeks.

Its only a meter that measures the air, so you need whatever reading its sending to the ECU to be as accurate, to get combustion that is neither rich nor lean. I don't think there could be a 'performance MAF', because it isn't anything other than a sensor. Hope this helps
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: MAF Performance

if you can adjust the signal the ecu gets you can fool it into thinking there is more air mass than there really is, this causes slight overfueling which gets you better performance but affects mpg and emissions.

an increase in mass air flow results in an increase in outout voltage. on the twinspark the output voltage ranges from 1.3 - 4.6 vDC. to examine the exact voltage at any given airflow, observe the graph and table here

so, to increase fueling you need to increase voltage by a constant amount for any given airflow, and only a small amount.

the calculations used to determine airflow are based on the cross sectional area of the passageway the MAF is fitted to. if you decrease the surface area slightly you will create a situation where the MAF thinks more air is passing through than there really is. how you go about making the MAF housing passage way more narrow is up to you, i've done it using some pipe with a section removed so it can be slot inside the MAf house and then glued in place.

is the difference noticable? yes. does it harm your car? i've never had a problem on any of the car's i've done it to. is it as pointless as the ebay resistor trick? no, because the MAF is a far more critical part of the fuel mass determination, and this method make sure the amount of overfueling remains constant no matter what the temperature or air density or humidity.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

maf , performance