odd door shenaigans a fix and some questions... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 13-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
odd door shenaigans a fix and some questions...update and warning

so over the last two days my GT driver side door has been doing the very common stepping manoeuvre ...

removed the door card and cleaned the WCU connectors and also the door control switch connectors, used maplins switch cleaner.

re-assembled and the drivers side door was fine.

however the passenger side door began to display exactly the same fault ...!

important this bit.

I had not disconnected the battery when working on the car assuming it would be fine...coming to the conclusion that having cleaned only the drivers side WCU it would be a hell of a coincidence if the passenger side went faulty straight after so they must be linked, and of course they are by CANBUS.

dis-assembled (can do it in 2 minutes now) and checked nothing was awry and gave the interior of the door and the connectors a blow with a warm hair dryer in case there was some residual moisture inside the door or on the sensor fouling things up and on the switches, in case some switch cleaner had failed to fully evaporate before reconnecting and was causing a poor connection or short.

put back together and still passenger door open message on dash accompanied by window stepping.

disconnected battery for 40 mins..reconnected and strange behavior for about 30 seconds from both windows before it all clears up.

then did soft re-set of windows.

conclusion : whilst working on the car with battery connected the ECU must have re-learnt a parameter incorrectly due to the constant connecting re-connecting of WCU and control switch.

re-setting by disconnecting battery cleared the fault.

it was weird though to see it move to the other side of the car!

I do think I have A) water ingress somewhere or) a failing WCU I will probably change it as its cheap and easy and hope this is not the initial signs of body computer failure.

and the question is can anyone tell me the type and location of the door sensor....I assume its a hall sensor as that may also be the problem or part of it.

fault returned after about 24 hours. had a chat with with a good friend of mine who used to work for Mullard phillips on the PCB side of things, he suggested that whilst working on the drivers side door if at any point the battery was connected and the ignition on its possible connecting and reconnecting could have caused a power surge damaging the passenger door WCU...

as the passenger door was stepping and opening all the way in rain and cold I disconnected the window control unit and drove to Autostilo where Massimo supplied me a WCU at a very good price ( molto Grazie) I replaced in about 5 minutes and all is now good...has been good for over 24hrs despite constant use and wet and cold weather.

word of warning: whenever working on the electrics in our cars disconnect the battery every time you have to take anything apart or put it back together...DO NOT re-connect until you have all the switches, relays and control units connected...most of the time it won't do any harm not doing this but to be safe its a good policy as sensitive as the electrics can be.

Last edited by joeymannero; 15-01-16 at 18:56.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

door , fix , odd , questions , shenaigans