Washer pump weirdness? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Washer pump weirdness?

My original stock windscreen washer pump failed last summer. It started to leak from a split in the casing.

Anyway, I stuck a ECP genetic pump on for about 7 and it worked. I have a 156 SW so it sprayed the front or the rear as required.

About October time it stopped spraying the back and only sprayed the front. No matter what I requested at the stalk switch. Rear didn't spray front did no matter which way I pulled the stalk.

Swapped it for a pattern part from shop4parts.

Worked until last week. Again, the exact same failure. Now only sprays the front.

At the weekend I took the pump out, checked the pipes, swapped pipes over and flush through.

Reassembled and it worked again.

Stopped again today.

Same issue, any washer request on the stalk gets the fronts working, nothing from the rears.

The stalk is outputting the right voltages because giving the pump a whack sorts it for a while.

Now the first cheap exchange was a generic part.
The second was a proper pattern part.

I've just ordered a genuine Alfa pump at 37!

Is there anything else likely to be causing this?

I'm happy the stalk is okay, because simply whacking the pump sorts it briefly.

Any thoughts on cause?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
You can make sure it's not electrical by checking that the voltage supply to the pump does reverse when you change screens; but assuming it is the pump again, it sounds either like bad luck, two bad pumps, or the 'gunk' that builds up mysteriously in the washer bottle is jamming the pump's flow directing valve.

Just had another thought. Pumps splitting/jamming could be down to non compatible washer additive?
I dunno. Will stick a voltmeter across the poles when I pull it to bits for pump 3. See what it says.

Only has Halfrauds screen wash in it in a very mild dilution.
Presumably there's slightly more pressure required to get washer fluid to the rear screen because there's a much longer run of pipe.

Perhaps the new pump isn't quite as powerful as the OEM part - coupled with slight 'gunking' of the fluid (as described in above post), especially with the cold temperatures we've been having lately, maybe this explains the reluctance to spray the rear screen?
Washer pump weirdness?

Just popped on the 'genuine' Alfa part.
It is a febi bilstein part.

I checked the electrical feeds and as expected. Bang on the correct voltages + and -

Front and rear now work perfectly well. Flushed out the tank with clean water so hopefully that's that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

pump , washer , weirdness