MAF Just been looking at them online and - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Crazed MAF Just been looking at them online and

Most about 80% of the UK ones I have looked at eg Vauxhall etc look the same same connections and same shape etc, just the hole diameter is different and the angle of the meter in the box.

does this mean that you could in therory go to a local scrappy and get a meter from another car and unscrew yours then swap.

If so then what do you have to look out for, eg is there a particular model number. or does every car in the world have a different meter giving out the same information but with different resistances etc?

Answers on a post card to
PO BOX 5817

LOL Dont post snail mail just Joking.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: MAF Just been looking at them online and

Pretty much think the part is designed for the car ... so sticking the wrong version into a car will screw up the fuel mix etc.

the Bosch part no is on the side of the housing. The alfa MAF will probably also fit Fiats and the like and possibly several other marques.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 28-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

MMMM Interesting though, Bosh Website only states that one model the Bosch HFM5.

and it looks just like every other MAF made these days, I personally would have thought that its easier to make software read hardware then making hardware suit the software.

for instance if i want a timer I would use a 555 timer chip and make the inputs different to speed up the clock or slow it down not make a new piece of hardware to fit in with my cucuit.

BTW I cant spell. LOL
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

could well be common, as the 1.9 JTD for example is used by vauxhall as the "CDTi" and by saab as the "TiD" - both the same alfa / fiat engine with just a different plastic cover. Therefor a Vauxhall CDTi MAF must be the very same part since its on the same engine Don't know if the TS MAF is different, I think they are the same though.

On the question of whether all MAFs are the same, they are at the end of the day, just an airflow measuring device, they dont affect or control what goes through them, just provide analog data from the mass of moving air, and most MAFs use hot-wire anemometer internals, and show the same values for the same air mass. The hwa MAF has a heated wire, it measures the cooling effect of the air moving over the wire and the ecu calculates the airspeed & mass from that.

A lot of VW owners have MAF problems and have successfully cleaned the wire element by spraying carb cleaner into it for a while. Worth a try before buying one. The hot wire gets crap building up on it, probably from sucking up other cars exhaust fumes in traffic, and gives a false reading cos its coated up, so it stays hotter, and reports less airflow than there is so the ecu reduces the fuelling.

Disconnecting it puts the ecu on maximum positive fuel trim as the resistance goes to infinity which pulls the ecu to the top its fuel trim table, making the car run very rich at low throttle openings but feeling much better than one thats running weak

Me & Her...

I love my tractor so much, If it wasn't an abomination o' god's law, I'd make it my wife...

Last edited by evilscotsman; 28-10-07 at 16:47.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

maf , online