147 Rear Fog Light Not Working - Broken Switch?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mymatemarmite

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 29-12-15 Thread Starter

County: -
147 Rear Fog Light Not Working - Broken Switch??

Hey all,

Just put the trusty 147 through an MOT and just 3 failures! What I thought would be the simplest one, a faulty fog light, seems a little more complex than I'd thought.

So:
  • Rear fog light doesn't work, tried replacing the bulb but nothing
  • The computer (which would normally recognise faulty bulbs) isn't reporting a problem with the rear fog lights
  • The dashboard switch for rear fog lights doesn't light up (like the front fog light switch does) when switched on

To me this sort of points to a broken switch. Is this likely? Anyone experienced a switch fault before? Perhaps crucially in this diagnosis, is it typical of that switch light not to come on if the bulbs just not working anyway?

Any experience on the matter much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Brisbane, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

No response? I am having the same issue, no warning light for a blown bulb - front fogs OK so switch and relay are fine - and my button does light up unlike the OPs but no rear fog light??
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I'd be trouble shooting with my multimeter. Check current to the rear cluster and work from there.
Is there a warning for the rear fog light? When my bulb failure has thrown a wobbly (down to a dirty connection) I'm sure it just highlights front side light, rear side light and number plate light?
bobulon likes this.

AO Member

Garage
I have the similar problem on my Alfa 147, the rear right fog light is not working, i tried to track the current when the light is on and it seems that it's something is inside a car behind front dash.
On my board i don't get any errors for non working rear fog lights, however my left rear fog light is working and when i remove the bulb on that one i get an error on dashboard.
So i guess it's some fault on computer board. I have to notice that the light stopped working after i traveled in really bad weather, so bad that the rain started getting in the car on my feet at one point from raining.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerunner View Post
I have the similar problem on my Alfa 147, the rear right fog light is not working, i tried to track the current when the light is on and it seems that it's something is inside a car behind front dash.
On my board i don't get any errors for non working rear fog lights, however my left rear fog light is working and when i remove the bulb on that one i get an error on dashboard.
So i guess it's some fault on computer board. I have to notice that the light stopped working after i traveled in really bad weather, so bad that the rain started getting in the car on my feet at one point from raining.

Fairly certain there is only one rear foglight.......although on a UK car its on the right hand side. In fact I'm now sure - had to go outside to check mine

If there is no power getting to the rear fog light, I'd first check if there was an output from the switch, and if there is then I'd suspect a broken wire in the flexi connector to the tailgate.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Fairly certain there is only one rear foglight.......although on a UK car its on the right hand side. In fact I'm now sure - had to go outside to check mine

If there is no power getting to the rear fog light, I'd first check if there was an output from the switch, and if there is then I'd suspect a broken wire in the flexi connector to the tailgate.
There are 2 foglights, but legally in most countries, only 1 side is allowed to work so that's the way its set up....
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Brisbane, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
There are 2 foglights, but legally in most countries, only 1 side is allowed to work so that's the way its set up....
In Australia one is the reverse light and one the fog light. The reverse light is pretty useless as it's not very bright. Been thinkinf about fitting a CREE LED replacement bulb to see how that goes. Fog light is not going at all though. Will have to get a multimeter I guess
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post

I guess than that you are right, i took a look and the one i was thinking that is not working (the right one) is white so this is a reverse light, but anyway this light doesn't work when i am in reverse so guess it's up to reverse light switch. Do dashboard drop error if switch is not working?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , broken , fog , light , rear , switch , working

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page