156 xenon headligts - opposite levelling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By proinsias

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 26-12-15 Thread Starter

156 xenon headligts - opposite levelling

Hi all,
I recently bought 2004 156 SW and Iīm trying to deal with strange xenon issue.

The levelling system works on both lamps, but on left one the levelling works in opposite way. When lowering the rear, right headlight goes down, but the left one goes up. When processing the test after the start, the lights are also going in opposite way. I guess it canīt be a problem of sensors (master light ('right) works properly), so it must be somewhere in connection of the slave (left).

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I assume that these are DC motors so swapping the wires would make that motor rotate in the opposite direction and lift / lower the lights in the opposite direction. I don't have zenon so don't know where the most likely point is that the wires have been transposed nor how easy it is to test my hypothesis nor what risk there is in testing it. I suspect you cant hurt anything by swapping wires over but have to give the warning.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 27-12-15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
I assume that these are DC motors so swapping the wires would make that motor rotate in the opposite direction and lift / lower the lights in the opposite direction. I don't have zenon so don't know where the most likely point is that the wires have been transposed nor how easy it is to test my hypothesis nor what risk there is in testing it. I suspect you cant hurt anything by swapping wires over but have to give the warning.
Thanks.
Yes, this is exactly the same solution Iīm thinking about :-) But it must happen someway, maybe itīs only a problem of diagnostics, or setting the motor. Itīs impossible to connect the socket incorrectly, so it canīt be caused by swapping the wires in the past.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 10-01-16 Thread Starter

Well, here is the bug: the ballast used in the my headlight is for Audi and BMWs :-)

So if anyone cares, beware of ballast nr. 1 307 329 082. It looks exactly the same as in alfa, the socket is also the same, but the levelling works in opposite way and it canīt be simply switched by swapping the polarity. Naturally connecting an Examiner to the false unit is not possible.

The right part nr. for alfas is: 1 307 329 091 or 093 or 096.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Probably too late to help ... but something I'm working on with mine currently

Replacement ballast was close, but no cigar (wasn't 091 ...) ... so levelling self-test goes up instead of down etc

The motor is a four-pin connector just inside the main lamp cover - easy to pop out and remove. It's a stepper motor - so find a pair going to one coil and swap that over (Swapping both is pointless because of how stepper motors work) ...
From an old lamp unit I have handy, the pairs seem to be {1,2} and {3,4} on the connector.

Will once I test .. but it should restore the "looks down on start" self-test and levelling the correct direction (instead of skywards !)

Hopefully this will help someone - as -091 ballasts seem to be like rocking-horse manure
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proinsias View Post
Probably too late to help ... but something I'm working on with mine currently

Replacement ballast was close, but no cigar (wasn't 091 ...) ... so levelling self-test goes up instead of down etc

The motor is a four-pin connector just inside the main lamp cover - easy to pop out and remove. It's a stepper motor - so find a pair going to one coil and swap that over (Swapping both is pointless because of how stepper motors work) ...
From an old lamp unit I have handy, the pairs seem to be {1,2} and {3,4} on the connector.

Will once I test .. but it should restore the "looks down on start" self-test and levelling the correct direction (instead of skywards !)

Hopefully this will help someone - as -091 ballasts seem to be like rocking-horse manure
Any chance you could explain this a bit better, as I'm an idiot, and having the same issue, I'll have to explain it to my mechanic to rectify for me ? Would be much appreciated.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Any chance you could explain this a bit better, as I'm an idiot, and having the same issue, I'll have to explain it to my mechanic to rectify for me ? Would be much appreciated.
I've yet to put it into practice on the functioning lamp (too damned wet lately!) ...

In essence though:
- remove lamp unit
- remove cover with the three screws
- possibly need to disconnect the igniter from the bulb
- to the side of the bulb housing, you'll see a small plug with 4 wires going into it (Blue / Red / Brown / Black on the one I have)
--- Consider those two pairs left and right
--- Swap one pair only (so the wires that were 1,2,3,4 are now 2,1,3,4 or 1,2,4,3), shouldn't matter which pair you swap around
--- to do that - the plug itself can be opened (gentle here!) - and the pins removed cleanly, makes for a clean reassembly !

Put it all back together, and it should "just work" (TM)

Stepper motors are strange things - swapping the direction of one coil only (as opposed to all the wires) causes them to spin the other direction, and is effectively what we've seen on ours ... swap them both and it'll be as if nothing happened!

Hope that helps

P
AO Member

Many thanks for that proinsias, let us know if it works for you, I'll do likewise.:
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Many thanks for that proinsias, let us know if it works for you, I'll do likewise.:
Got at it today - worked a charm

Popped out the lamp unit
disconnect cables / connectors
undo the three-screw-cover
disconnect igniter from xenon lamp
unplug connector
swap over blue and black wires
<haynes manual refit>

Worked nicely ... now to wait for darkness to see how badly off the aim is
Aramis likes this.
AO Member

Goodman, another mystery solved.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , headligts , levelling , opposite , xenon