Suspension/bushes squeaks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-10-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0TS

Suspension/bushes squeaks

Hey all, I have been adn proud owner of 3 alfa's so far in my life, great fun as we all know but have little niggles but we accept these cos there worth it

I have these really annoys squeaks and is especially bad in the mornings. I have had the bushes re-greased and helped a little but has come back to stalk me. My brother had the 156 Sportwagon and had same issues replced bushes and made no difference! Anyone with further info would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Suspension/bushes squeaks

Welcome to the forum ... and to the squeaky land of 156's!

Does the squeak get less in the wet?

When you say you have the bushes greased, I take it the upper ones and whoever did it removed the arms completely, stripped down the mounting bolt and greased everything before putting it all back .. simply rubbing grease around the rubber bush won't help. Even doing the above will only last for so long ...

You probably want two new upper wishbones (the bushes come with them). It is probably the bushes, but could also be the ball-joints (check for splits in the ball-joint rubber). Once you have changed these, you eliminate one thing. The squeaks can also be the lower arms (inner bushes and balljoint again), the drop-links (although they usually knock) or the anti-roll bar bushes ... or could be the shocks!

I recently had a very bad squeak .. actually a creak .. turned out to be a dry lower arm balljoint ...

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 25-10-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0TS

Cheers, Yes it if its beeng raining hard on and longish driving or over a few days the creaing/squeaking vanishes. All i was told is they greased the bushes so i would assume they did the quick option. I will asked then the re-greased ball joints and suspension arms upper and lower hopefully this will help. But if doesn't i shall reple them as have replacement parts insurance so will get money back that way! Always a good to have if alfa power required!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

My front suspension only seems to squeak for the 1st mile or so (lots of speed bumps mind) but after that it is fine, even when going over the same bumps 5 minutes later having just gone to the local supermarket.
I'll guess I'll get the garage to try the cheap option.
I thought I read somewhere that rather than take it all apart you could inject the grease into the joint (not through the rubber mind, just into the joint)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

squeaks , suspension or bushes