Selespeed stuck in 1st - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Selespeed stuck in 1st

I am posting this for info, this morning I had a fright.

I started the 147 and sat for a mo while the car warmed up, ice cleared from windscreen etc. I then selected 1st and the car stalled - BEEP BEEP BEEP SELESPEED FAILURE.

The car was then stuck in 1st. Would not start, would not go into neutral or any other gear. The selespeed pump was making no noise. The car was parked across the drive so couldn't move the missus car out to get her to hospital, both took the day off to get to appointment

3 possibles I found out when reading up on AO, Selespeed Pump, ECU, Battery...I also located a thread from a member who had a similar problem due to low fuel.

I know mine was low, the dash was bleeping at me last night when I parked up, but being a bloke I thought it would be OK and I would fill up on the way out in the morning.

After a big cup of tea and a read of the forum I went outside and pressed the brake hard while trying to select neutral, it went in , I then pushed the car from infront of the house and tried to start it on level ground, no joy but at least it was trying to turn over, but still BEEP BEEP BEEP SELESPEED FAILURE.

Went to town got some shopping done and returned to try again, this time it started first time, would you believe it. I ran it to the local petrol station (about 3 miles) and filled up. No problems at all, all gears select fine, Paddles, gear shift, CITY, all OK.

I have parked it out of the way tonight and hope in the morning it is fine...will report back if not good.

I love my 147, flappy paddles rule, seem to have lost 3rd gear...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Highlands
Re: Selespeed stuck in 1st

a lesson for all of us?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 24-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Selespeed stuck in 1st

I went to start this morning and fired up straight away.

So I am happy, will recommend the following:

1. don't run fuel low
2. if stuck in gear press brake heavy and release to neutral.

That way the car will be mobile. This is obviously one instance where a problem has resulted in others, but by no means the way of getting away from Selespeed pump, ecu or calibration issues.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

1st , selespeed , stuck