Selespeed oil leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gt jtd

Selespeed oil leak

Strange problem ,156 1999, selespeed works fine when oil filled to correct level but it loses oil out of the reservoir overflow when the car is switched off. The reservoir will be full to the brim with ignition switched off for a couple of hours as if it is being back pressurized. Any help welcome thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: Selespeed oil leak

fluid level rises as fluid settles. sounds like overfilling is the cause of the leak. only fill up when the car hasnt been used for a couple of hours.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I agree with jug . to check level turn key to mar , first click . If it is over full it will find its level by losing the oil thru the breather tube . You can attatch a bottle to the end of the breather to see how much your losing . Mine did have this problem but it was down to too much pressure in the actuator it should be around 50bar mine was 75bar had to replaced actuator . Have a diagnostic check done for peace of mind , As jug said it sounds like you've just over filled it , dont panic yet . Let it find its own level
AO Member

Hi, i had a similar issue today. I topped up my selespeed oil just after turning off the car because it looked low. When i came out again i noticed oil under the car and it looked like it was coming from under the resivour. My mechanic said he did notice a really small leak from the gearbox about 6 weeks ago, but there has never been any oil on the ground before. Do you think it was just a case of over filling?
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Switch on ignition, pump activates, select a few gears, check level. Does a fair bit of work, at a reasonable pressure, (I'm with the 300,bar club with my hobby mods at the moment) so if it's overfilled, it will puke some out. So long as it doesn't lose the lot.: With the correct undertray in situ, the foam soaks the odd spew up, so get that tray, save that spotless garage floor. Sele posts so AM'ish? laters if you please.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

leak , oil , selespeed