Electric grems on 156 'click'... and it dies. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-10-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 v6

Drunk Electric grems on 156 'click'... and it dies.

Hey guys!

I'm a 156 (2.5 v6) owner with an electrical head-scratcher ... the worst type.

Ok, yesterday driving along fine (low on fuel, but it would transpire not to be the problem) when a jolt and a pop from the exhaust the car cuts out.
To cut a long story short, after getting 10 ltrs worth of fuel into the car I set off again seemingly fine; about 4 miles later at traffic lights I try to pull away and again engine 'clicks' and cuts out.
Luckily enough I was right opposite a petrol station and managed to push and start it up enough to get parked.
This is what followed over the next 5 hours (till eventually towed):

Loss of all electrics - no dash board lights, no central locking, no alarm (well just about, and I mean just about activating), no engine start (just trying to turn over), no nothing.
Then electrics came back and I was able to start the engine up, it'd run for a minute or two and then 'click', cut out.
It would also 'click' and cut out if I swithed to full beam lights or press the fog lights (the fans coming in didn't cause a cut out).

Its not a battery thing I'm sure - the engine starts (when it does) without missing a beat.

The Green Flag man says it could be a relay - I've never done electrics on a car and don't know what this is.

Has anyone encountered similar or have any pointers.

Last edited by Allen; 15-10-07 at 14:17.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Electric grems on 156 'click'... and it dies.

It does sound like a battery problem. Batteries can malfunction, not just go flat. I know of may a car when the electrics all fail and then come back without any sign of what went wrong.

You may have a faulty alternator but first of all I reckon the battery is the area to check first as its the easiest. Check the terminals on the battery and also the engine grounding strap for rot or loose connectivity. Can you borrow someone elses battery for testing?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 15-10-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 v6

Re: Electric grems on 156 'click'... and it dies.

Cheers Chris.

I can't think of anyone with my type of battery straight off but will ceratinly revisit all you've said.
It is only 20 months old the battery, so if I can get back to Halfords they should be able to rule in or out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , click , dies , electric , grems