Replacing the flywheel? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

Replacing the flywheel?

I have an engine from a 166 that I was supplied to fit into my 156, but have discovered that the engine has a dual mass flywheel on it, whereas the previous one didn't. As a result my clutch won't fit, is it possible to just swap the 2 flywheels over?

Having searched the forums it seems there are a 50/50 split of people who say that the crank and flywheel are balanced together and those that say they will be done individually. I found a tuning company that sells lightened flywheels for the v6, so it can't be too detrimental to fit one surely? Also eper allows you to buy a flywheel for the v6 seperatly to the crank, which would suggest to me that it has been balanced individually (unless the dealer rebalances the whole thing if they have to change the flywheel, which appears to occur on 3.0l v6s with dmfw).

Also the alfa workshop manual tells me that the crank in the v6 has been precision balanced with 9 weights, but mentions nothing of the flywheel balancing. Surely it would say if they had been balanced as a complete unit?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

Re: Replacing the flywheel?

i would expect if they are both balanced seperately and the mounting faces are clean and smooth, they should be ok if the flywheel is replaced.

They balance wheels off the car after all...
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

I would imagine in unison, rather than separately, to achieve the desired result, if it's possible.:
AO Member
County: -

You wont be the first one who swapped the 3.0 V6 DMF with a 2.5 V6 SMF. You feel a litle more vibration if you start or stop the engine. No harm.

And forget to fit the Q2 diff.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

flywheel , replacing