The 156 light/rev counter problem... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 11-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Idea The 156 light/rev counter problem...

Hi All

Just joined the forum and already feel better as lots have had similar problems with 156 lights!

My symptoms are a bit different from most though...excuse the long story.

Came to use my 156 on Monday night and the battery was flat. I thought I might have left my radio on which could have caused it, as hadn't used the car for four days.

I went to recharge the battery and I couldn't open the bonnet as the latch had seized.

Got RAC man out who managed to get it started by jacking the car up and attaching leads to the starter motor. We then managed to get the bonnet open too by spraying WD40 through the grill.

While he was there I asked him to check my rear light which I knew was faulty. We couldn't get rear light and brake light to both work, and he noticed a rosy glow - yes, the light was on even when switched off. We noticed a sidelight was blown too.

Later on I noticed that my passenger sidelight was on, even when switched off!! Ahah, I thought, maybe that was what had caused the flat battery, but why? Removed bulb so it wouldn't flatten my battery again.

Today I replaced sidelight I had taken out and this time it didn't stay on

I replaced my blown sidelight, amidst much cursing about Italian design and needing the skills of a gynaecologist just to replace a bulb. Not to mention the fiver for the bulb

Then, to the back. Put new bulb in for good measure.

No rosy glow now, brake light works, rear light not. Bulb works fine in the other side

So - is this the rev counter problem or another??? As Sod's Law would have it, Alf's MOT is due next week

HELP!! Any suggestions welcome. I hope it's not the rev counter and hope to get garage to run lead across from the good light to the bad light as an easy fix as suggested in the threads I have checked.

Sorry for the long story...

Last edited by AlfaRob 156; 11-10-07 at 22:15.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

Re: The 156 light/rev counter problem...

Just as an offshoot suggestion for a possible cause, you know how you can turn your key too far past the "off" position, and it turns half the side lights on for parking with the keys out.....

I borrowed my niece's fiat brava and discovered her sidelights were on, even wi the keys out - put them in and turn to the first pos, no lights unless switched on manually! Turns out her ignition barrel is worn, and returns to the park position easily instead of stopping at "stop"

Hence the lights on all night with the keys out, and flat battery......maybe weakened a fuse and then it popped with the new bulb / charged battery?

Just a thought.

Me & Her...

I love my tractor so much, If it wasn't an abomination o' god's law, I'd make it my wife...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , counter , light or rev , problem