Wheels or suspension first - GT 1.9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Wheels or suspension first - GT 1.9

I am trying to decide what to do first to my 1.9 JTD GT. I have had it mapped and now find that it struggles to put down the power, especially at lower speeds and revs. The plan eventually is for suspension, wheels (inc tires), breaks, exhaust and diff (q2 or quaife diff) but it will be done over a bit of time and probably near enough in that order. I also want to look at the ICE and fit that in somewhere but I am able to do the speakers etc as and when.

So, as I am looking to sort the handling and power delivery a bit, what do you think would be best first, lower the car or look at wheels?

Currently I have 16" but think 17" is the better compromise, plus the with is 7,5 on the 17" i am looking at, and I think the 16" are 7 (correct me if I am wrong)
The suspension I am looking at is the Koni suspension kit (with H&K springs).

I am not after super sharp, race car setup so think this will give me a good compromise for a daily driver (one that gets driven through Birmingham and the motorway on the way to work most days). I don't need or want the adjust-ability of coil overs as I know I would not use it. I know people rate the eibach springs but from what I have read, they are quite harsh, so the little bit softer would be better, also why I have decided against 18" alloys.

I have not lowered a car before so not sure how this would help over wheels, any help deciding which one first would be great.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Don't over lower it - it might look kewl, but it will handle like a wooden pallet and feel about the same.

I have a GT 3.2 running standard springs, shocks, ARBs and 18" wheels. I also have a 156 2.5 with Eibach -30s, ARBs, B6s and a Quaife - on 16" wheels. The 156 murders the GT round corners any day.

I'd forget the wheels for the moment, drop the subframe and do the Quaife and the ARBs. The go for springs and shocks: Eibach -30s and B4s is good, the Koni solution is also good. You'll get a big step up in delivery with the first stage, and also protect your gearbox.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 27-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
You are right, I don't want to over lower the car. The Koni kits seem to do a 35mm drop which I think is acceptable although I think I would have preferred a 30mm drop. Their is a ST kit that drops by about 30mm but I know of the brand Koni, I don't know of ST so not sure how much I would trust them.
The LSD seems a lot of work so I was probably going to leave that for now, although I could see that making the biggest difference to handling. I was going to leave roll bars and maybe do a front roll bar once everything else was done and if I felt I wanted to.
I find it strange people are on the forum this time of night. I'm at work and can go on the internet (it's very slow at night so we are allowed to keep ourselves entertained with internet, movies, books) but I thought everyone else in the UK would be tucked up in bed on a Monday night.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Fit Eibach ARBS front and rear, by far the best mod I have made to my GT.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
If your looking at putting the power down I would do the Quaife first as it cuts down massively on the front end scrabbling for grip, and it is probably an easier job than fitting new roll bars

Then as said above the Eibach ARB kit followed by suspension.

But before all of that make sure your running decent tyres or all of the above will be wasted
If you're going to do springs as well as ARB's, for a bit more money you could do a lot worse than going for an Eibach coilover kit, which will go nicely with Eibach ARB's.

Not stupidly low (the height is adjustable), great handling and also reasonable comfort.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

suspension , wheels