Selespeed Modification - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat Punto Turbo

Selespeed Modification

The breather pipe on top of you selespeed oil reserve should only be a max of 6 inches long now, its a mod that my local dealers are doing on every selespeed that comes through the door.
Reason being, Is your oil looking more like milk these days than a brown clear fluid, if yes your breather pipe has been sucking up water and it has intergrated itself in your oil which will cause wear and low preasure = a badly behaved system. You will notice that most pipes are 12 inches long and are curled up under the oil tank which is a great place for water to stand. pull it out, cut it down and tuck it away somewere dry. It will give your selespeed a longer life and a better smoother operation in the long run.

Fiat Punto Sporting 1.4 T-Jet
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Selespeed Modification

Well now, mine is pretty short,(will measure it later: ) always pull it off when checking the level,( ok I realise you don't have to) and have a cable tie around it,( not restricting though) so it doesn't disappear down the hole!:
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

I had what I termed the 'Baileys Cream' transformation of the Selespeed fluid. When I drew it out of the reservoir and let it settle in a jar it was quite obvious that water contamination was the culprit. The only source that the water could have come from was due to suction or capilliary action through the breather pipe coming up from the wheel arch - which can get very wet!! Doh!
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I have the breather tube run into a small plastic bottle as a 'catch tank'. My dealer always used to overfill the Selespeed fluid and when it got hot it would overflow out under the wheel arch.......causing a minor heart attack the first time.

Catch tank has a breather far its stayed fairly empty

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

modification , selespeed