156 Clutch pedal prob - only when cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 05-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help 156 Clutch pedal prob - only when cold

156 2.0 SP3 04/2001 135000Km
Am now having a clutch pedal problem, which only appears when the car is cold.
1. At morning startup the clutch pedal engages very near to the floor.
2. When clutch is released pedal travels half way back and then after 1/2 to 1 second flicks back out fully.
3. The problem progressively diminishes over the next 30 minutes of driving and the clutch bite point changes during this period also.
4. If I come back to the car a few hours later, the clutch pedal is completely normal with a biting point not on the floor, probably about half travel of the pedal. Although saying that I've noticed from drive to drive that the biting point can change.

The brake fluid is only slightly off max.
No difference when cold if I pump the pedal several times.

Only possibly related issue I can think of is that after its last service at Mangoletsi 1.5 years ago the di@@@ead left the brake fluid top off, but I found that after 1 hour as soon as I checked under the bonnet when I got home.

I had noticed before the clutch pedal release problem started suddenly this week that the biting point was almost at the floor, but other than that I hadnt noticed any other problems (other than the usual performance issue when cold, hunting/sense of power change).

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers G

156 2.0TS SP3 LHD >145,000Km Alfa Rosso - With cured kangaroo (courtesy of a 15 quid clutch switch Thanks for nothing Alfa )
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 09-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: 156 Clutch pedal prob - only when cold

For the record in case anyone goes searching with the same problem: My local independent Fiat/Alfa garage diagnosed the problem immediately based on the description as the Clutch Master cylinder SO thanfully not the most expensive of jobs.

Anyway problem cured.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , clutch , cold , pedal , prob