Selespeed fails to engage odd gears - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Turkey
Selespeed fails to engage odd gears

OK, it's my 10th day with my Alfa and it's definitely the most special thing I have driven so far. But here's an "Alfa soul" thing I presume. I searched the forum with "Selespeed odd gears" and "Selespeed even gears" but mostly found those problems in addition to dropping to neutral and/or not engaging at all. My problem is sporadic.

My 2003 156 Selespeed skips odd numbered gears when:
1. It's rained a lot at night
2. It's too humid in the morning

It will lose 1st, 3rd and 5th gears in the morning. Once it's driven a few kilometers, it goes back to normal. 2nd, 4th and reverse gears are OK at all times. So if this problem happens, it will try 1st gear a few times, fail, select 2nd gear and pull of with that; than after I pick up speed it will try 3rd, fail, then engage 4th. After a few kilometers on the motorway, it engages 5th alright. No problems until next morning.

It becomes too humid where I live, so I assumed it's a relay or contact problem. I thought humidity would interfere with relay contacts and when the engine compartment gets sufficiently hot, water would vaporize from contacts so it would return to normal. I removed the relays in front of the battery and thoroughly cleaned their contacts. No luck. Next humid morning, same problem again.

Pump priming after I open driver's door takes 15 seconds in the morning. I hear clicks from the right of the car (it's a LHD one) every second or third gear change, which I think indicate the pump coming on and off. The mechanic who checked the car the day I bought it tested and "reset" the Selespeed system and said Selespeed system was OK. The pump is not in its prime but I think it would fail to engage even gears and/or drop to neutral while driving etc. if it was the pump. It only fails with the odd gears.

1. Where are those Selespeed relays? The ones in front of the battery say they are about fan etc., is that correct?
2. There are 2 black and 2 red "micro" relays and a large 50Amps relay in front of the battery. Which is responsible for odd gears, if they are Selespeed relays?
3. Does anyone know how much amps the black ones are rated for? Red ones are rated 30Amps, the large one is 50Amps. I have a few 20 Amps 12V mini relays that will fit, I could try replacing them one by one if they are 20Amps.
4. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 14-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Turkey
Additional info: Selespeed oil level is OK, gear shifts are smooth and timely when they happen. No flashing Selespeed lights or anything. Will check alternator voltage tomorrow but it looks OK.
AO Member
County: -
Got 99 156 sele for my brother in law he winged that was a broken POS same problem intermittent but more frequent and not self correcting. Got a 156 sele from my brother in law cheap. Borrowed a cable adjusted clutch as per directions on this forum gave cable back before completely reading document and didnt do eol etc. So i just disconnected hydraulic sele pump connector for a couple of days siphoned reservoir filled with correct oil plugged in opened door allowed to prime, topped off fluid it drove a lot better but not perfect. Repeated and fixed wicked as now in love with alfa when putting fluid in boot found bottle of wrong fluid, about every 6 months i repeat and never had a problem except when wife drives and doesnt check fluid before drive.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engage , fails , gears , odd , selespeed