Late CF3 TS VS. Busso V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Late CF3 TS VS. Busso V6

So this is probably a very boring discussion that has been had countless times before, and I do send out my apologies for cluttering up this section with more of my ill considered and inexperienced nonsense.

I am curious to know what the ownership of say, my 1.6TS would be against a 2.5V6 Busso engine.

With the TS being on what I would refer to as 'half normal mileage' intervals, and by this I refer to the 36,000 km intervals against the Busso V6 on 76,000km (perhaps a little less).

Now it sounds like nonsense to compare the two engines together, but I was wondering if the costs and relative sturdiness of the Busso engine means that it can be in some cases, as cheap to maintain as my CF3 1.6?

With my car going in for its young-life refit (36,000km) service, it got me thinking that against the 156 2.5 V6 on an older age, I have been somewhat of an idiot. I purchased my 1.6 TS (2007) because of its colour and interior; but I sadly, despite my broadly informed knowledge on the TS I do sometimes wonder if I may have been only fractionally worse off with the 2.5 V6 compared to the 1.6TS I now own. This of course has nearly the same tax band as the 1.6 (290 against my 265) because of its age.

It seems that in the world of GTAs and 3.8 tune-ups, the 2.5 V6 as been somewhat overshadowed in both consideration and merit, and as I tautologically mention, I wonder if I have indeed made the same error when considering only my 1.6 TS (let us for the sake of argument assume the 1.6 and 2.0TS suffer the same issues, perhaps with a few minor details).

So given various peoples' experiences with these engines, I do but wonder and launch an minor inquiry into the relative costs of owning these cars and contrasting them (I leave the 3.2 Busso out of this, as I am very much confident in there being a massive disparity between my 1.6 and this, no matter which way I look at it ).
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Not much if anything.

Less spark plugs, Longer cambelt interval. Parts are similar cost.
More oil / coolant though but that's by the by.

Parts wear quicker with the V6 due to it weight up front.

But generally its just fuel.

If the engine needs to be replaced the TS is cheaper to do and easier to work on.
But the V6 is pretty much the same cost bar fuel.
Tax is a bit more and so will insurance.

But generally you'd get +50% extra power vs a TS for about 10% extra running costs.

Fuel however would be about +35%

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Fuel consumption - 30% more, especially if you do lots of short trips, less of a difference if you are doing long trips on the motorway.

The Busso is a very strong engine as long as the basic servicing is done regularly. The 137,000 mile example I have just stripped down has perfect valves, and barely any bore wear. I have a 98,000 mile example in my commuting 156 and that just gets serviced annually - for the last 3 years (25,000 miles) it has needed nothing other than a thermostat.

The big win for me is that V6s don't burn oil, so are unlikely to have been run dry by some careless owner. These days I would assume that any 4 cylinder engine in front of me was knackered because so many have been run with low oil pressure at some stage.

A downside is that when the Busso goes wrong, it is harder to fix. The Lambda is just as likely to fail as on a TS, but if it is on the rear bank of a Busso, it is a difficult job. Ditto the alternator. At high mileages head gaskets seem to be a bit suspect, and the sump seal seems to be failing (seen this twice now). The cambelt service (done properly) is expensive, but it is only 72k miles or 5 years, so not that bad.

Most of what needs fixing on Alfas of this age is not the engine....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

busso , cf3 , late