Aftermarket induction systems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dubayy

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Aftermarket induction systems

Greetings Petrolheads!

I want to know if switching from stock to aftermarket induction systems is a good idea. As far as my knowledge for cars goes I believe that without reprogramming/remapping its not wise to fiddle with things as such.

Please advise the pros and cons of replacing to aftermarket induction system without remapping ECU/Dyno run.

Kindly stress on the cons; if there are/is any. I like to be on the safe side

Also if its a good idea what brand should one recommend eg: BMC, K&Ns etc....
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
Don't buy one that requires oiling as they will cause damage to your maf sensor. I've had them on other cars and they make a nice noise when you accelerate but don't give a constant drone like a big exhaust does. Performance wise I think they make no noticeable difference but they provide a nice sound track for when you get on it without becoming tedious when you're driving at normal speeds.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

I use kn and never had issue with maf being contaminated with oil ......once fitted I leave it alone ...used same filter in all my alfas for 7 years ..issues people have is usually after changing filters inc stock ...disturbing crap in box ..more so people have issue cleaning and re oiling them,by doing so putting too much oil onto filter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Just to second what Dave said, its re-oiling them that causes the problems. Its not an exact science of how much to put on, just common sense. I had a K&N 57i on my 146 which was tucked well out of the way of the engine and with a decent cold air feed. Along with some other mods it makes sense. No point sucking in all that air if its going to struggle getting gasses out at the other end. After modding my 146 it maybe contributed to no more than 3/5 extra bhp (and that's being optimistic). Induction kits make more sense on bigger/high tuned engines which are packing more ponies. A decent panel filter in my opinion would be more practical. Ive just fitted a BMC filter to my 147......although I do miss the induction roar.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aftermarket , induction , systems