Problematic 2.0 JTS - Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-09-07 Thread Starter
Problematic 2.0 JTS - Help!

I have had my 2003 2.0 JTS Sportwagon for about a month and have had repeated Motor Control System Failure problems since day 4.

Day 4. Problem 1. DTC code 1161 (Preheating resistance 2 below catal. Signal not valid) Garage Action - reset the sensors to see if its just a 'niggle'.
Day 10. Problem 2. DTC code 1161. Plus another, 1131 (plausibility of upstream lambda sensor) I think. Garage Action - replaced the upstream lambda sensor.
Day 19. Problem 3. MCSF. Garage Action - no fault found.
Day 21. Problem 4. MCSF. Fault found. Garage Action - replaced the air flow meter.
Day 26. Problem 5. Today. Motor Control System Failure again!!

It makes me wonder whether they are just treating the symptoms and not the cause of these problems.

In all instances the car was being driven at low revs. I am also begging to wonder whether the car is performing as it should at high revs. Acceleration seems to tail off more than I would expect as the speed rises.

Do anyone have any advice? I replaced the battery at about day 8 in order to elimate that as a cause.

Sadly, I am very tempted to take the car back and ask for a refund.
Sponsored Links
Re: Problematic 2.0 JTS - Help!

Hopefully you are not paying cash for any of this carry on. Is it an official Alfa dealer?

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 29-09-07 Thread Starter

I bought the car from an independant car dealership and to date I've been taking the car back to them to sort out. They use their favoured car mechanic, but I am thinking of taking it to the Alfa Dealer to get 'an offical view'. I havent paid for any of the work.

The purchase of the car has been a bitter experience. For a long time they wouldnt honour their promise to sort out the 'snag list'. The two tyres they fitted are rubbish, they managed to strip the oil sump thread in the pre delivery service, they still havnt sorted out all the stone chips and I am still waiting for the second key fob to be coded.
On top of this, I have no confidence that they filled the block with the correct oil so I'm going to sort this out myself.
Nightmare! The car sounds great though!!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Mate, what a trauma.
My 2003 156 2.0 JTS had an MCFS fault and had a random mis fire that felt like fuel starvation - drove me mad. I read loads of advise on the site and started by disconnecting the battery, all this did was stop the AC working, another dis-con/re-con and the AC works fine now - Bizarre!

My remedy was a new coil pack on Cyl 4, the diagnostic report showed a misfire. £56 later all sorted.

I am not sure if this helps but it worked for me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jts , problematic