156 starting and idling fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD 2005

156 starting and idling fault

hi guys , just done the usual work for head gasket failure. head skim,water pump,gaskets ect but now its back together its a pig to start have to keep the key turned and hold down throttle untill engine builds enough momentem to start , but when coming to a stop the revs die away and it stalls.if it dont stall the revs fluxuate from 1500-500 then stalls, also pressure test shows low compression on all 4 cylinders, had none of this before the gasket blew???? any advice greatly accepted..........
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

Re: 156 starting and idling fault

its obviously not sealing properly mate.

Low comp on all four is a huge leak somewhere - is the gasket deformed or slightly different to your old one? since the cylinders are sleeved and seperate from each other it would have to be a mating fault between the head &/or gasket and the top of the block.

Did you torque the head down in the correct rotation and stages? If you dont follow the staggered pattern of which bolts to tighten, you can sometimes fail to achieve a seal between head & block.

If in doubt, start with the middle most top left-of-centre then bottom right-of-centre, then top right, bottom left working outwards from the centre to the outer bolts in a diagonal criss cross way.

This is so the head gets strapped down in the middle first, so no warping. Ever tried to hang wallpaper? If you put the ends on first the middle is always saggy....lol

Recheck and tighten the head bolts once more, especially if you warm it up first then do the bolts when its warm, youll get a better seal. Also when changing a head, or refitting it, new bolts should be used as the old ones will have stretched over time and are weaker.

Me & Her...

I love my tractor so much, If it wasn't an abomination o' god's law, I'd make it my wife...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , fault , idling , starting