Electrical problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-09-07 Thread Starter
Electrical problems

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased my first Alfa two days ago. It is a 156 2.0 JTS Lusso and unfortunately I have now got my first problem.
It started fine this morning, but before I set off the wipers were not working. When I tried the indicators they were knacked as well, then the climate system, the door mirrors, the back windows(front ok), and a few buttons I'm not sure about. everything else is fine! I don't have a manual so can't check if it is something dead simple before I take it back to the dealer and look a fool.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Re: Electrical problems

how new is the car? if it is under warranty then just take it to the dealer, sounds like a fuse has popped tho. it is possible that all these things are powered from the same fuse, perhaps one of the 156 owners can check this out in the manual??
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

On the 156 there are some general protection fuses (60, 70 and 80 Amp) under the bonnet that protect the power cables. They are mounted between the ABS servo and the top of the near side suspension strut. If a whole load of devices have stopped working it could be that one of these has gone. Still take it to the dealer, because if a fuse has blown something must have caused it.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

the fuse box, above this there are three banks of extra fuses covered with a black plastic mesh protection, these are NOT documented in a users handbook.
Rip off the mesh protecter for each bank and dispose (you may as well as you will often need access up there).
Go to the top bank far right fuse, possible a 7.5amp, remove, you will probably find this is blown, if its not that, check the others, I am sure its the one on the far right, 2nd or 3rd bank up.

This fuse if it blows will kill:
Electric Windows
Cig. Lighter
That I know of, maybe more.

Cab you post to say the fix?

Don't take it to alfa 'till you have tried this, they'll only charge you a ton for changing a 7p fuse!
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-07 Thread Starter

Thanks to every one who replied.
Builders cut through my broadband cable on Friday so have been unable to access this site. They say things come in threes, so can't wait for the next one!
Excellent advice about the top set of fuses. Never even noticed it to be honest. Have changed the top right one, and everything has come back on. Maybe things are looking up.
Thanks again.
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Hi Christo12

Just changed the resistor for the fan heater in my 156 1.8 T Spark, delighted when I had all 4 speed settings. Decided to check a few things to ensure I had not caused any other problems, lights work, hazzards work, brake lights work and then I realised a problem , no indicators, no heater fan, no wipers or wash wipers, no elec windows, no sun roof, no mirror adjustment, no air re-circulation and no cigar lighter.

Just like you checked all fuses, could only be one thing to lose all the above at once. Slammed door and called it a day.

Went on forum and managed to find your thraed, checked the top set of fuses which I did not know about and guess what, you got it 7.5 amp fuse, 2nd row from top, extreme left, why do all these things run from 1 x 7.5 amp fuse.

Thanks for posting your thread and thanks to jasons who posted the answer to this problem. Without this I would have spent hours and probably Lots of s.

Thanks to all

Andy K

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

electrical , problems